Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a 87 GN and have been spending a long time fixing up the car trying to make it look as new as possible and am having three problems I could use your help on:

1) Where does the black wire on the turn signal switch plug in. I believe it turns on the cruise control. I took it to Buick and they could not figure where it goes. I must have accidently unhooked it taking out my old carpet which I am replacing with new.

2) When I rebuilt my engine and drove the car I noticed the rpm/boost guage works but maxes out at any acceleration level and stays all the way over. worked normally before rebuild.

3) The most plaguing problem is my brakes. Upon first starting the car and backing out when I put on the brakes (for the first time) they grab real hard. If I pump the brakes and go down the road they start braking normally. It only seems to happen when initially starting out. The first time I noticed the brakes messing up I was braking for a light and they locked up in the back now they seem to do it only during initial driving. I have put a new proportioning valve but did not fix the problem and also a new booster (accumulater-I think that is what it's called).

Thanks for your time in advance-any help is appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Strangely, I don't see a black wire in the electrical diagrams on the turnsignal stalk with regard to the cruise unit or the turn signals. Guess, I better go look at the wiper washer side. Has to be a ground wire for something.

Sounds like the rpm led module is failed. What does it read it idle. They all seem to eventually start reading higher and higher. Mine are pegged at idle now...took a while for them to get that high. Go to Casper's site and read his article on the subject. He can rebuild it for you.

One of my cars acts the same way with the brakes. I have always thought it was the type of shoes/pads on it. My pick up also does the same thing and is worst on a damp morning or after a rain. Don't have to drive thru any water, or such...it just grabs like made for three or four stops at low speed and then is fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve!

Steve,

I sincerely appreciate the quick response!

All I remember not working when I used the turn signal was the cruise control...that is why I thought it might control that. Upon looking at that wire again it is a factory black covering that covers four small guage wires that come from inside the signal switch...a blue, red, yellow and green set that come out of the switch and join into a common plug where it plugs into somewhere under the dash. When I get the car on the road again I will work the switch and narrow down what function does not work.

Thanks for Casper's site!

David

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
well, that is a horse of a different color :)

And those four wires are the cruise control wires as you figured.

They should plug into a four cavity connector along the middle of the steering column. I kinda think this connector comes out of the harness and is hanging there...but, I really don't remember.

Maybe someone that has the panel out will look up and tell us :)

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
on the rpm ,
are the two connectors behind the alternator plugged together
they fit together nicely but shouldnt be connected
one is the the fuel pump prime and the other is the tach signal lead , if they are connected unplug them

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Again, many thanks!

Steve and Paul,

Your input is well received and much appreciated!!!

I bet that is what I did Paul and will take another look at it.

BTW, I have read (and will continue to read) from both of your sites and am amazed by your knowledge on TR cars. My car is stock and need to learn more about the performance aspects such as alky systems, chips, etc.

Kudos to both of you,
David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.