Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking for some junk exhaust pipe in 2.5" diameter. It's for our $2006 (or $2007) Grassroots Challenge car. I'm going to use it for fabricating intercooler pipes. I might be able to use 3" pipe, but it would probably be too large for the stock 86-87 turbo that we'll be using and Powerstroke front mount intercooler, and it might affect spool.

NOTE: I can't accept any "free" stuff... only stuff that is going in the trash or that is really junk.

Please let me know if you have anything.
-Banning.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
When I was looking for tubing to make a coupler for my K&N, I found autozone carries 3 inch exhaust pipe sections, and I happen to have the leftovers laying around if you need it, I think its a foot long, maybe less. At the time I also asked at a local muffler place (may have been Meineke) and they said they had tons of bits and pieces at arms reach in the dumpster if I felt like looking.

If you (or any other magna member) need 2 inch intercooler hose, I have a large section of it (like 2-3 feet) I scored at a yard sale the other day. I'll have to double-check on the diameter though. Its the thick stuff like what Kirban sells.

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have a couple of muffler shops around here. I'll see if they have anything in the dumpsters.

In the meantime if any of you guys come across anything... SAVE IT FOR ME! :woo:

-Banning.

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump, bump...

We need either 3" or 2.5" exhaust pipe for some low budget intercooler pipes.

Please keep us in the back of your mind when you're around any body or muffler shops that have scrap piles.

I can cut and weld the stuff, so length doesn't really matter.

Thanks,
-Banning.

·
Which Mackey is that?
1,509 Posts
banning...do you have headers? if not....please call me asap....201-602-3665

John :6:

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes we do. I'll be modifying stock 84-85 headers.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Banning,
I have two tailpipes from a Flowmaster catback system I had for a Hot Air car...I believe they are 2.5" I will double check them, but their yours if they will help. In fact I have the entire cat back system...you can have the whole thing if you can use it. I want to repay your "Bronsonian" kindness somehow, someday.

Just gimme the word! :cheers:

·
Most Wanted Racing
39 Posts
how much pipe u need?

i work at an exhaust shop, i can get u whatever size u need, i have one small problem, our bender is crap, but i could prolly get a 10 ft piece of straight 2.5 or 3 (maybe a little harded) if u still need it

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We're looking for 5-6 90* bends and about 3-4 feet of straight pipe.

However, I have a welder and a metal cutting band saw, so I'm willing to piece together as many pieces as it'll take.

**We can't accept any "free" stuff... it has to be stuff that is going in the trash, or stuff that you'd be willing to give away to anyone**

Thanks,
-Banning.

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dennyl said:
i work at an exhaust shop, i can get u whatever size u need, i have one small problem, our bender is crap, but i could prolly get a 10 ft piece of straight 2.5 or 3 (maybe a little harded) if u still need it
Do you ever replace any truck exhaust or anything that is 2.5" diameter? Maybe some of those factory bends would work for our needs?

-Banning.

·
Most Wanted Racing
39 Posts
mostly everything we take off is rotted so bad we can't salvage, we have a bunch of pipe in a junk pile, our bender is trash or i would try to bend something out of the pile, i have a bunch of cut of pieces, let me know if u need some of our left overs.

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
dennyl: i sent you a PM.

Below is a quick diagram I made up of how we plan to run the pipes to our Powerstroke IC. We'll be mounting the turbo in a simliar location to the 86-87 cars (not on top of the intake like the hotairs).

In all, we'll need five (5) 90* bends for this setup. If the bends are large radius, then we really don't need much straight pipe (maybe 2 feet) as the ends can be but welded together.

We'll also be fabricating a 4" fenderwell dump for the car. We plan to do this by taking a stock 86-87 elbow and cutting the turbo flange & wastegate puck off with a bandsaw. We'll then weld a piece of 4" straight pipe onto it for our dump.

Nice & simple, now all we need to do is find the materials! :)

-Banning.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
J Banning said:
**stuff that you'd be willing to give away to anyone**

Thanks,
-Banning.
OK...at this point it's just cluttering up the garage and I have no use for it, so anyone can have it....you just get first crack at it.

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aaron B said:
Banning,
I have two tailpipes from a Flowmaster catback system I had for a Hot Air car...I believe they are 2.5" I will double check them, but their yours if they will help. In fact I have the entire cat back system...you can have the whole thing if you can use it. I want to repay your "Bronsonian" kindness somehow, someday.

Just gimme the word! :cheers:
Yes please!

How can I get it? Next MAGNA meet?

-Banning.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I believe I'm off that day, so that would probably work. The other option is, if there is an "Auto Parts Pony Express" from Bronson Motor Sports to get Gooches heads back up this way in the next couple of weeks, I could send this stuff back down via the Pony Express. I'm sure I'll run into HOOPER sometime in the near future....

·
Premium Member
6,914 Posts
Aaron B said:
I'm sure I'll run into HOOPER sometime in the near future....
I'm there dude...
but this time Gooch has to buy the milkshakes!!! :D :yup:

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Aaron B said:
...if there is an "Auto Parts Pony Express" from Bronson Motor Sports to get Gooches heads back up this way in the next couple of weeks, I could send this stuff back down via the Pony Express...
That's a very good possibility. Let's plan on that. :)

-Banning.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts