Turbo Buick Forums banner

Need help finding a body and paint person bad!

2K views 75 replies 13 participants last post by  Low Budget 
#1 ·
Ok people, I've heard so many stories over the years where "this guy painted my car cheap and did a great job", or "so-in-so did a nice job on the bodywork", "looks almost show quality and it was only $xxxx" etc...

I need someone to step up and be my friend...sniff, sniff...please? :bawl:

Seriously, I need some body, some prep and some paint.

And yes, in that order!

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

PS- check my all too relevant user id! :eek:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
reasonable paint job

if u want show quality paint job and if your toy is a garage queen and not a daily driver there's no other way around it you have to spend the mullah ($4-5,000) to get the best result, however, just to remove the dents out of it, paint it jet black with clear coat, decent prep, for less than a thousand (depends on how much body work) go to Maaco. Talk to the manager and specify in writing the stuff you want to be done. I had 4 cars painted by Maaco in Philly (Frankford) and it came out decent for what it is, as I said earlier you have to specify every detail otherwise they will paint your mouldings and other stuff. If you are willing to travel I can introduce you to the manager of this branch. Good luck.

#3 ·
Actually I'm looking for something in between.

Thanks for the reply 2swoosh! :cheers:

Really, I would be amazed to find a show job for the money you mentioned, but that's more than I have to spend anyway.

I first and foremost want the couple rust areas repaired right, no future re-emergence in the same spots. I also have a couple dings, and one dent in the drivers door that need work. Again, in general the prep before the paint is my top priority. I can always get the paint done over if it's not to my liking, but if the basics are done wrong, it's NFG for sure.

I'd like to either get the bodywork done, then take it somewhere to be media blasted, or vice versa. If it were vice versa though, I'm thinking it would need primer twice. Once after blasting to keep it from rusting while the bodywork is being performed, then again when that is done.

The front glass must come out so that area can be cleaned up well and painted. I have need of the molding for that area if anyone has some. I have a brand spanking new factory hood to go on, a used rust/dent free spare trunklid for parts or complete replacement. Mine is starting to rust along the molding.

I want a base/clear coat system, but the clear is going to likely be a candy. I don't know if that will then need a regular clear over it or not. I haven't gotten that far yet.

This may all sound show quality, but in the end it won't be that way. It will just be back to factory fit with a slightly different, deeper look.

If you are confident your Maaco guy could help with some part or all of this, I would like to talk to him. I have personally found though, that chain stores (for other stuff) are scarey. That's why I wouldn't even consider Maaco if it weren't that you have dealt with this guy in particular. I have my own local Maaco, but I would come to yours instead.

Anyone else have other suggestions, ideas, personal recommendations? I'd be happy to hear! :)

#4 ·
While it may be a ride for you, gbsean on here is a bodyman and I understand takes on stuff like this. He's in Flanders, NJ. Might wanna shoot him a PM to see if he'd be interested.

#5 ·
seans gonna be a busy man lol- hes never gonna get his car done if all of ours are always there :yup:

im trying hard to get mine ready for a visit to him in november :headbang:

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks guys!

I sent him a pm.

Keep it coming guys. I appreciate all your help!

Oh, and up front I'll say my doing prep work myself is definitely out. I read some threads and see that is a popular suggestion. I'm not physically able to do it myself.

#7 ·
Low Budget said:
I sent him a pm.

Keep it coming guys. I appreciate all your help!

Oh, and up front I'll say my doing prep work myself is definitely out. I read some threads and see that is a popular suggestion. I'm not physically able to do it myself.
sent you one back

#11 · (Edited)
Hey Jesse!

CallMeMud said:
Hello Jeff! Motor still kicking?

Didn't see a budget but... BEST: http://www.rhodescustomauto.com/

Close second: http://ironhillautobody.com/

Thanks for the links.

Motor is getting stronger I think. Been tweaking the chip some, and seat of the pants is better than it ever has been. maybe I'll get it to the track this year to see for sure, but it depends on this body, the cars body :wink: , and a few other issues.

...and oh yeah, check my ID for the budget...DUH! :rolleyes:

#12 ·
#14 · (Edited)
Sent you a link to the pics.

Just in case though, here it is again.

Anyone else who'd like to see my hunk of junk is welcome to have a look too.

Pics are here!

Oh that's cool. If when you get to the site you open a pic and click on download, you can download it to your pc to see it full size!

#15 ·
Update

Sean gets the car this Saturday!

You fall appointment guys will have something to check out before your turn in the shop!

I can't believe it's finally going to happen. I've been trying to figure out how to afford this for at least 6 years. There was always something else that HAD to have the money first. Now finally my car is getting it's good looks back. This time I even have a garage for protection too! :)

#16 ·
damn thats fast :D ill have to come check it out when its done since ill be entrusting sean with mine in november. hes a good guy- helped me out with some ideas for fixing my header pannel- wouldnt want to give my car to a better person :D

#19 ·
I surely wasn't trying to pick on you Sean!

gbsean said:
he is my november appointment :yup: I am not chip foose :headbang: but I am also not Earl Schieb :D

Just teasing ajt86.

Anyway, I am not looking for a Chip Foose, and certainly not Earl Shibe! :dunno:

How about Charlie Hutton?? :D

#20 ·
gbsean said:
he is my november appointment :yup: I am not chip foose :headbang: but I am also not Earl Schieb :D
thats not what you told me- you said your better than chip foose :rant:

arties car looks amazing pal :yup: i got an 86 t bird thats begging for a silver paint job too lol.

your never gonna get your car done with all of us hanging around your place

#21 ·
Ok, now I am confused.

ajt86 said:
thats not what you told me- you said your better than chip foose :rant:

arties car looks amazing pal :yup: i got an 86 t bird thats begging for a silver paint job too lol.

your never gonna get your car done with all of us hanging around your place

Ok, more than usual.

I thought YOU were Art, so who the heck is Artie? :dunno:

I need to get out more. :yup:

#22 ·
im andrew- art is artie paltz- i forget his s/n cuz theres 3 arts on the board i get them mixed up- i beleive his is a turbo t though because its silver/burple fade. i have an 87 gn

#26 ·
Low Budget said:
Took the GN out to Sean Saturday. Nice guy, very professional.
You sure you left it with Sean???

Kidding, just kidding. Sean is a good guy...hell, I have an engine in my car now thanks to him! :cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.