Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 87 gn and the powermaster was replaced in 2000 ) the brake dash light always on ) by a turbo shop that specializes in turbo cars.

I think that the powermaster was a rebuilt one because the price on the receipt says $385.90.

Since 2000 i have only put under 1,000 miles on the car.

Well i am getting ready to take out the car for the summer and i have noticed 2 problems.

1. the tail lights stay on when the brakes are applied. i bought a new brake switch for under the pedal but i have not installed it yet. when i lift the pedal up, the brake lights turn off.

2. When i press the brake pedal, the brake light on the dash comes on and then turns off.
(this happens several times).

Could problem 2 be solved by intstalling the brake switch under the pedal?

Like i stated previuosly, the powermaster is 6 years old, probably rebuilt and i have not put much mileage on the car.

What could the problem be?

i dont want to return to the turbo shop bc they always keep the car for 2-3 days and i just dont trust leaving the car with anyone.

the brakes work well otherwise.

I dont want to convert to vacuum.
I want to keep the powermaster.
Please help

thanks

Frank

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
as far as the brake lights is the converter locking up on the car? you might have to adjust that switch from what your told. i know i have to.

my PM does the same thing when i hit the brake but i'm starting to have trouble with the brakes. i'm told by a popular vendor/friend that it could be the switch. i'm going to swap the switch out and the accumlator ball.

imo, since you have the swtich already why not throw it in and see if it solves your problem?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Most likely your Accumulator ball is shot. The pedal will be hard for a second light is on, then the pedal will drop slightly and light goes out.

The Brake light problem is the switch. Especially if you pull up on the pedal. When you get the new one in put 2 small zip ties around the retainer to help keep the switch in place. I used one of the theft tools that jambs the brake pedal and knocked the switched back. DOH!

·
Registered
242 Posts
start with an accumulator ball..

my car did exactly like yours,(1) brake light flashed when applied and(2)
rear lights stayed on unless you pulled up on the pedal.

When i put a new accumulator ball on everything returned to normal without touching the switch.

One other thing, if i parked the car with the rear brake lights on, they would go off by themselves after several minutes..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts