Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Fellow GN's Owners,

My 87 GN is in the need of replacing floors and needing the frame repaired to change some of the body mounts. More then likely a complete frame restoration is in order. Some of the mounts are so rusted that if I remove them i'll have nothing behind to remount back on the frame.

If anyone has any contact info, or suggestions of GN friendly shops that I can get this work completed I would greatly appreciated it. I'm in the West end (Brampton/Mississauga).

Cheers
Derek

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Hi Derek,

Chris Borson (Turbolicker) is a member of this site and also happens to run a Body Shop.
Castle Auto on Castlefield Rd. Toronto.

As a fellow turbo buick owner, he is no stranger to these cars.

Suggest contacting him.
Castle Auto Collision & Mechanical Service
1117 Castlefield Ave
Toronto, ON M6B-1E8
Tel: 416-789-4179

Castle Auto Collision

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply 1KWIKSIX, I think I spoke to him last year just before putting the car away. Once Bill fixes my oil leak issue, I will be contacting Chris to take a look to quote me. Chris did suggest that I bring another shell from the U.S and just transfer everything. But, I really didn't like that idea, as I'm not mechanically strong and would have to pay out of my ass to have this all done. Plus, once the floor and frame is done I really don't have anything else major that's needed at this time.

I'm looking to compile a few options of places to get quotes and feel it out from there.

Can anyone else suggest anywhere trustworthy?

Thanks
Derek

·
Registered
42 Posts
Derek,
Hope all is well!
The season is creeping up....
I've got a buddy out this way that owns a restoration shop.
He does top notch work, and has experience with GN's.
Let me know if you're interested and I'll pass you the info.
The shop is in Bowmanville, about 5 mins. From Bill's place.

Take care,

Mark

·
blank
2,898 Posts
I suspect Chris's suggestion would be the most economical.
Labour intensive work from the sounds of it.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Not sure if you mean that Chris suggested buying a clean roller, but this may be your best bet. Probably a lot cheaper in the long run too!

Lots of clean southern cars, but you might get lucky and locate one locally.

"Just saying"

·
Darth your car is ready!
326 Posts
Try terry at Project X. He is is parry sound. He does amazing work.

PH-1-705-378-0001

·
Registered
703 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
There are good suggestions and good advice here. You can get reproduction floor pans and frame rail repair pieces, but its still labour intensive work to do the repairs. In the long run, if you're going to keep the car, you're probably better off to find a clean southern shell. Good luck.

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Since you are in the West end, why not head West to Woodstock to get Conrad Lozier to look at it?

index

Conrad has been making replacement rear frame rails for these cars for MANY YEARS now. I don't know if he does install work, but give him a call or email (contact info on his web page) and see what he says.

Another thought is a guy by the name of Chris near Hamilton that does work on G-Body cars. He used to always have ads in the Tri-Ad for selling G body parts, that is where a lot of my parts came from. Channer got me connected with this guy a number of years back. Give me a bit and I will get his cell number, I think it is still good.

Also a Southern roller is a valid option as well even though it sounds like you are not all that interested in that option. I am sure all of the shops and people mentioned in all of the above posts will be able to help you out and do a great job for you. :yup:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Just as an aside to what Paul just mentioned, I spoke to Conrad Lozier at the Barrie swap meet last fall. I think that he's looking at retiring within the next year or two. He told me that he had a number of frame rail repair kits made, and that once they were sold, that he wasn't going to make any more. He used to do the installs himself, but I'm not sure if he still does. If you're interested, best to get in touch with him sooner rather than later. Good luck.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Firstly, thanks to all for your kind words! Next, let me try to explain why I give the advice that I do.... I will always tell people the truth and give my best advice regardless if it doesn't advance my personal or business interests. The reason I hope is an obvious one....maintaining respect and integrity! Now....if one is to properly install floors in our cars it requires removal of the seats, carpet, trim and console at a minimum. Then the new floor pan would get dry fit and traced onto the existing pan. Old pan has to be cut out, new one trimmed to fit and then welded, all the way around a small section at a time. Now usually the rot goes under the seat reinforcement which means it must be drilled out and cut off near the centre of thr driveshaft tunnel and re-welded after the floor is in. Towards the rocker panel (outside edge) the G-body floor is 3 seperate parts. If the floor is rotted then the other parts are too! So now these must be fabricated as well. Once this is done the welds have to be ground down, metal cleaned and prepped, primed and painted and then undercoated if desired. This is a 10-16 hour repair depending on severity. Or one could slap a piece of sheetmetal on top rivet it and tar it like some and call it a repair! Point I'm making is the price of doing the right repair quickly balloons and you still have a rotted repaired car that will inevitably rust in another area. As for the aftermarket frame rails...I've seen them installed. They look nothing like the original frame. Its like putting duct tape on dress pants! Also I've seen the bolts that go straight through the trunk floor to the underside to eliminate repairing the rotted floor reinforcement between the trunk pan and frame rail. YUCK....Sorry to be long winded guys, my business is sucessful on integrity, service and transparency and our margins come more from collision and I know we have taken care of a few members vehicles that were very happy. I will not perform crappy repairs that people regret to save money as it will inevitably leave feelings of regret. All of you are welcome to call me or visit anytime for opinions

1 - 12 of 12 Posts