Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let you guys know after alot of searching for a complete powermaster brake unit and high high prices. I found that napa auto parts sells remanufactured units with 1 year warrenty for $314. not bad , i even told some GN shop and they didn't believe it. They told me $600 for a reman. and $1200 for new.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I think Autozone sells them about the same but were giving a lifetime warrenty.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I would convert to vacuum brakes before I spent $300 on a PowerMaster that is guaranteed to break again and again. Sure it might have a lifetime warranty, but how many times do you want to change it? We have used parts suppliers on the board that sell the complete vacuum brake setup for around $100. Cheap and way more reliable, what are you waiting for???? yup powersix

·
Registered
95 Posts
Auto electric in Richmond sold me mine for $129.00 with core,it also carried a lifetime warranty.Best price I have come across.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you guys got a good price and lifetime warrenty. i'll make sure to keep that in mind when i need again. But i don't think i'll go with the vacuum setup . I'll try to stay original as possible.plus i would care if i had to spend $300 bucks every 2 years or so.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Or you could purchase all NEW parts:
New PM motor/pump - $150 (me).
New Switch - $120 (gmpartsdirect).
New Accumulator - $114 (gempartsdirect).

Those are the 3 primary components of the system and now you have a brand new unit for under $400. The 'other' guys are selling used units with a rewound motor at best. What do you expect for $200!

Hank

·
Village Idiot
4,813 Posts
Hank,
What does the hydraulic cylinder cost and who sells it?

·
Village Idiot
4,813 Posts
I've considered buying a Hydraboost before. Anyone have one laying around complete with PS pump?

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
you guys got a good price and lifetime warrenty. i'll make sure to keep that in mind when i need again. But i don't think i'll go with the vacuum setup . I'll try to stay original as possible.plus i would care if i had to spend $300 bucks every 2 years or so.
I would like for my front bumper, grill and header panel to stay original too! That's why I have chosen a braking system that will stop the car in a timly fashion when I mash that big pedal on the left! :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Stevemon,

I have no access to Hydraboost components. Sorry.

There are 2 primary and compelling points considering the PowerMaster. Originality and Racing. Originality speaks for itself. Someday the few really nice ones left in factory condition with all original parts are going to actually be valuable. Racing, there is no contest between which system can hold boost. I've tried them both and if you want to go through the ridiculous ritual of pre-stage, put in neutral, pump brakes, build vacume, hope vacume holds, edge up to staging, still hoping vacume holds, then have at it.

None of this will matter a lot longer because there are 'x' number of remaining PM pump/motors remaining in the world and when they are gone that will be it. Of course the lifetime units that are spray-painted black and even look used will most likely be around for quite a while.

Hank

1 - 12 of 12 Posts