Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Free Door Removal
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to get two nailhead buick motors one 1964 and one 1963 i know one is a 401 but the other has a distributor up front and is in a smaller 1963 car, hard to tell what type of cars cause it is a junkyard. Anyone know any easy way to identify them?

I can get them for 100 bux a piece, worth it?

Joe

·
Registered
732 Posts
87bigcut said:
I have a chance to get two nailhead buick motors one 1964 and one 1963 i know one is a 401 but the other has a distributor up front and is in a smaller 1963 car, hard to tell what type of cars cause it is a junkyard. Anyone know any easy way to identify them?

Joe
Not to me. Do you know why they are called "nailhead"s?

·
Free Door Removal
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not really haha

why?

Joe

·
Registered
155 Posts
They were called nailheads because the valves were so small and set vertically in the head. A lot of guys liked them because they made pretty good torque in their day.

John

·
Village Idiot
4,813 Posts
Small one should be a 364. Do the cars have the finned aluminum front brake drums? There may be a market for those with retro-rodders.

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
Sounds like the smaller one is a 300. Does it have aluminum heads and a cast iron block? The 401 and 364 would be the same external size, just like a SBC. They might be worth it to the GS and old car guys.

·
Free Door Removal
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
think i should pull em or no?

could i make a hundred bux??

Joe

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Nailhead engine code is on the front top of the engine, right in front of the valley pan cover. I had a 66 GS with a 401 nailhead, great running engine and very popular with the street rod crowd. They did not use them in smaller cars, so the smaller looking one is probably a 300ci small block as mentioned above, nothing special. If the other one is in a big car, Riv, or a GS Skylark it could be worth 4-500 bucks. Try www.v8buick.com for more info, there is a section specifically for Nailheads there as well. I still post over there at times.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
87bigcut said:

Joe
Yup. :yup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts