Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am thinking of buying a n/a crank from a friend for my 86 gn. and i wanted to know if it needs anything besides polishing to replace mine? will it be as strong?

thanks,
Jeremy

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
First off, whats the car used for? If just a daily driver, low boost, decent tune then its fine. If going to the track & running 11's I would say no (even tho Banning runs 10's on his) Also, NA cranks aren't worth much $$. My friend Gave me my last one. Not worth more than $50 IMO
PS: You may still have to machine it as a polish wont always clean it up. $$

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The turbo cranks, and the 4.1 cranks, have the rolled fillets to make them last longer at high loads. The n/a crank is just as strong, but won't last as long. How long? Who knows. Maybe years, on the street, but probably not many laps if it was in a circle track engine.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
There are good used ones in the For Sale section for $300 or new are twice that from Weber or Eagle

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Advanced Auto Parts... about $247.00 with bearings and new bolt.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
CallMeMud said:
Advanced Auto Parts... about $247.00 with bearings and new bolt.
For a Turbo Crank? What brand?

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Well lets see.... Years and years ago I did more or less a group buy on these through my friend who manages one of the stores. We had two pallets of roughly 40 cranks. Of those 2 must have not been turbo and shipped out because I didn't check all of them. The money was refunded for them but 9 times out of 10 they will be right. Best way to do it is order them through a local store and open the box for inspection. If they aren't right point it out and return them. :yup:

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
CallMeMud said:
So what you are saying is that the Advance part is a new GM crank. Dont think so. Maybe 15 years ago you got lucky. Thats got to be a reground crank in that kit. You cant tell me there are more turbo spec cranks than the NA ones out there. How many cranks are you going to look at before they kick you out the door for being a PITA.

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Of course they aren't new but they are GM made cranks that are ground and come with bearings to fit plus a new bolt.

I guess it is how well you know the people at that store. Are you a frequent customer? No harm in pointing out the difference to them and asking for a refund.

To be honest though with the new steel cranks out there I am floored people want to mess with anything that is 20 years or older instead of using something better and new for not a whole lot more. I personally wouldn't do it now or have anyone know do it. :cheers:

·
Why have one ?
5,676 Posts
CallMeMud said:
Well lets see.... Years and years ago I did more or less a group buy on these through my friend who manages one of the stores. We had two pallets of roughly 40 cranks. Of those 2 must have not been turbo and shipped out because I didn't check all of them. The money was refunded for them but 9 times out of 10 they will be right. Best way to do it is order them through a local store and open the box for inspection. If they aren't right point it out and return them. :yup:

what specs were the cranks ground from PartsAmerica, .010/.010 , high side , mid , low ???? :)

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
KWIKR 1 said:
cool thanks . I'm heading to Florida within the next few weeks . maybe I'll stop in . :) any idea where they are located to Orlando ?

Maneuvers Distance Maps
1: Start out going WEST on W SOUTH ST toward BOONE AVE. 0.1 miles Map

2: Merge onto I-4 E toward DAYTONA BEACH. 18.0 miles Map

3: Take the SR-46 / SR-417-TOLL exit- EXIT 101BC- toward MOUNT DORA / SANFORD. 0.4 miles Map

4: Take the SR-46 exit- EXIT 101C- on the LEFT toward MT DORA. 1.4 miles Map

5: Keep RIGHT at the fork to go on W 1ST ST / FL-46 E. 2.3 miles Map

6: Turn RIGHT onto W AIRPORT BLVD. 0.6 miles Map

7: Turn RIGHT onto ALBRIGHT RD. <0.1 miles Map

8: End at 1200 Albright Rd
Sanford, FL 32771-1670, US

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well guys im VERY frequent at advanceauto here in town so i may just order it and see what happens. what do i need to look for? pics?

·
Why have one ?
5,676 Posts
CallMeMud said:
Maneuvers Distance Maps
1: Start out going WEST on W SOUTH ST toward BOONE AVE. 0.1 miles Map

2: Merge onto I-4 E toward DAYTONA BEACH. 18.0 miles Map

3: Take the SR-46 / SR-417-TOLL exit- EXIT 101BC- toward MOUNT DORA / SANFORD. 0.4 miles Map

4: Take the SR-46 exit- EXIT 101C- on the LEFT toward MT DORA. 1.4 miles Map

5: Keep RIGHT at the fork to go on W 1ST ST / FL-46 E. 2.3 miles Map

6: Turn RIGHT onto W AIRPORT BLVD. 0.6 miles Map

7: Turn RIGHT onto ALBRIGHT RD. <0.1 miles Map

8: End at 1200 Albright Rd
Sanford, FL 32771-1670, US

WOW !!!! , that's real close to Orlando . BIG THANKS !!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts