Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an even-fire [yeah, I know 110hp factory ] Buick 231 from an '81 Buick Century. Of course, it's not in a Century
It's in my '78 so I can get it daily-drivin'.

At any rate, I recently found out that there are Turbo'd 231's in Turbo Regals. If I go ahead & locate a junked Turbo motor, can I go ahead & swap in the turbo, exhaust manifold, intake manifold, heads, & distributor? Can anyone tell me the process needed? The block casting number for an 81 Turbo Regal block & my N/A block are identical.
Do I "need" new cams/crankshaft? I want to mess around with my 231 before I do a motor swap down the line.

Going along with that would be dual exhaust & headers. I may build a V6 231 odd-fire block down the line. I don't want a V8 because of the gas prices . I'm transitioning from an '80s Corolla, classic bucket. If I went to V8 mileage I'd go broke.

Of course I'd need the boost controller as well.

If anyone would speculate on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Knock some sense into me :dunno:

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts

·
Deltona: Peace At Last...
568 Posts
Although I'm still ratpacking parts....(98% finished), it's a no-brainer. But I built up my N/A with top of the line internals:

Cam-Kenne Bell
Pistons-Kenne Bell Hypers
Timing Chain-Kenne Bell double roller
Oversized intake Valves-Kenne Bell
3-angle cut OEM exhaust valves
Chrome rings-Kenne Bell
Bearings: Main & rods-Kenne Bell
Heads-OEM ported/polished
Block-OEM .030 bored
Rods-shot peened/magnafluxed
High Volume Oil Pump-Kenne Bell

This engine should handle any turbo-boost..... :mine: :phat:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've got everything you need, and I'm trying to sell it as a package rather than putting it on eBay:

Since switching to the hot air setup on my '77 Vega project, I have accumulated a complete 1981 carb/turbo set-up:

Intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, plenum, and recent rebuild turbo (OK to bolt on as is). Oil supply and return lines. New 1979 Q-jet Turbo service carb. Hobbs switch-activated power valve control solenoid (replaces the PEVR-- makes the carb go rich at around 4-5 psi of boost). All stock air intake parts. 1979 Turbo Control Center and distributor. MSD-6BTM. MSD Tach adapter. Vac/Boost gauge, mechanical oil gauge, extra stock starter.

There may be a few more parts, but that's most of the big stuff. I was hoping to use all these parts on another project car (I recently got a '79 Sunbird Wagon with a factory V-6) but I need this car more as a driver at my airline job, and I really don't have the time or money for another project.

I would prefer to sell the whole lot as a kit for someone interested in converting a NA V-6 car or doing a CJ Jeep project. If there are no takers within 30 days, I will sell the parts off on eBay individually.

I would like $500 for the entire lot. The new carb alone is worth over $200, and the MSD-6BTM is worth over $300 new, so figure about $150 used. I know shipping will be high, but I will work with the buyer to keep cost down by either freight-shipping the lot, or breaking into smaller shipments by package carriers. (UPS, FedEx Ground, USPS, etc...)

MAKE ME AN OFFER! If interested, e-mail me at; [email protected]

Regards,
Dave

·
Banned
32 Posts
V-6 Vegatex said:
I've got everything you need, and I'm trying to sell it as a package rather than putting it on eBay:

Since switching to the hot air setup on my '77 Vega project, I have accumulated a complete 1981 carb/turbo set-up:

Intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, plenum, and recent rebuild turbo (OK to bolt on as is). Oil supply and return lines. New 1979 Q-jet Turbo service carb. Hobbs switch-activated power valve control solenoid (replaces the PEVR-- makes the carb go rich at around 4-5 psi of boost). All stock air intake parts. 1979 Turbo Control Center and distributor. MSD-6BTM. MSD Tach adapter. Vac/Boost gauge, mechanical oil gauge, extra stock starter.

There may be a few more parts, but that's most of the big stuff. I was hoping to use all these parts on another project car (I recently got a '79 Sunbird Wagon with a factory V-6) but I need this car more as a driver at my airline job, and I really don't have the time or money for another project.

I would prefer to sell the whole lot as a kit for someone interested in converting a NA V-6 car or doing a CJ Jeep project. If there are no takers within 30 days, I will sell the parts off on eBay individually.

I would like $500 for the entire lot. The new carb alone is worth over $200, and the MSD-6BTM is worth over $300 new, so figure about $150 used. I know shipping will be high, but I will work with the buyer to keep cost down by either freight-shipping the lot, or breaking into smaller shipments by package carriers. (UPS, FedEx Ground, USPS, etc...)

MAKE ME AN OFFER! If interested, e-mail me at; [email protected]

Regards,
Dave
not sure how old this post is, but damn i'm interested now :( i'm off to read the conversion link above and i'll be back, probably easiest to slap the lot in a big crate and ship it to me ! thats going to be expensive, but it really appeals to me right now !

·
Banned
32 Posts
Hmm, having just read that, i dont think i'll bother, i dont mind the challenge or the work, but reliability is top of my list seeing as i cannot buy buick parts here and have to order from abroad (i'm in the UK) .... :(

oh well.

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
Jonuk said:
Hmm, having just read that, i dont think i'll bother, i dont mind the challenge or the work, but reliability is top of my list seeing as i cannot buy buick parts here and have to order from abroad (i'm in the UK) .... :(

oh well.
They are reliability, I've been running my 83 for 6 years, I have atleast 100 passes at the 1/4 mile track plus 109k miles in the motor. I drive my car hard all the time. Now I have popped my head gaskets at least 3 times(wife did one) But I have pushed the car to the edge. With my current setup I'm pushing about 230hp to the rear wheels..Traction is my biggest problem now :yup:

·
Deltona: Peace At Last...
568 Posts
I agree with Jimbo...

What V-6 Vegatex is offering is a steal!!! :eek!:

There's no way you're gonna find a better deal here in the USA. Abroad would be close to impossible. I'd re-consider....reliability is the key... :sw:

·
old skool
3,738 Posts
Freddie's Regal said:
I agree with Jimbo...

What V-6 Vegatex is offering is a steal!!! :eek!:

There's no way you're gonna find a better deal here in the USA. Abroad would be close to impossible. I'd re-consider....reliability is the key... :sw:
what he said!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.