Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have recently decided to build a turbo buick 3.8. I currently have a n/a 3.8 block from the early eighties out of a pontiac grand prix. Can anyone tell me if there are any differences in the block, heads, crank, or rods.
Thanks

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
2,327 Posts
If your thinking about building a '86/'87 style motor then all the parts are different...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually i wasnt thinking about the year model, i just wanna know if there are differences in the block, crank, heads, and rods from a n/a 3.8 to a turbo 3.8. I am totally new to buick v6s so bear with me. i want to build an engine capable of low to mid 11,s
Thanks

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Not worth it in my opinion. If you are starting from scratch buy an '80s 4.1 from the junk yard for $200 and build one of those. At least you will get the correct crank, rods, heads ect. You'll end up with a non original motor either way, but you'll have 21 more cubes and unshrouded valves. powersix

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
2,327 Posts
racer_amx:
Actually i wasnt thinking about the year model, i just wanna know if there are differences in the block, crank, heads, and rods from a n/a 3.8 to a turbo 3.8. I am totally new to buick v6s so bear with me. i want to build an engine capable of low to mid 11,s
Thanks
The only reasonable way to the low 11's is the 86/87 configuration. What year block do you have? an 86/87 109 N/A block will be the correct block, heads, rods, but you will still need a crank, brackets, intake, ecm, wiring harness, etc.

It is probably cheaper to find an actual complete TR motor for $1-2K with all the pieces then starting at ground zero and trying to piece one together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts