Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was leaking a little fluid for a while there. I attributed that to the dipstick grommet where it enters the tranny itself, which was torn. Remember that this car has moved about 20 miles in 6 or 7 months, so it didn't seem like an emergency. Recently, I replaced that grommet and thought I'd be done with the issue. Two days ago, I topped off the fluid and was going to take it for a spin.....I got about a block and had to turn around and go home. The car wouldn't build boost, it was moving like a slug- at the very top of first gear it started to act like it was going to start making some power, then second would come in the the car would go back to almost no power at all. At the top of third (by now I'm going about 30 mph, but the pedal's been way down all this time) it just redlined and refused to shift into fourth. Not knowing WTF is going on, I took it back home and parked it (had to go to work) and figured I'd look at it later. Well, last night I went out there only to find about a quart of ATF all over the floor. Any diagnosis, tranny guys? I hate this car.

Attachments

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Looks like a crime scene :eek!:

Could be:
front seal
rear seal
pan gasket
dip stick grommet
TV cracked or 0 ring
cooler lines or fittings
Clean up good, start up and look for leaks.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been looking and it's difficult to say where the leak is coming from. But aside from that, what would cause it to act all f'ed up evn when full of ATF?

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
DId you overfill it? Is the Throttle valve cable out of adjustment, or as Ed stated cracked or busted where it attaches to the tranny?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sorry, I'm so fed up with the car I was taking a vacation from it. I will be getting under the ho tonight.

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
I've been waiting for you here in the tranny section all night so I could help. You can always count on me, except in a fight. By the way, I have it from a good source that there are over 200 parts inside a tranny and they are all expensive, so be careful.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm scared of transmissions and, honestly, consider them to be magic. For that reason I really don't like to touch them. But I will....just 'cause you said so.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
make sure you didnt overfill it as someone said- all it takes is to be a couple pints too high and it gets all messed up. if you put too much in itll act up then shoot out the overflow tube.

they arent magic- its just a bunch of fluid passages that go throw a valve body and channel plate, some switches, some valves, then down the shaft of the transmission to different drums.

once youve been inside one its easy. if you want to learn i recommend taking apart a TH400- there is no putting clutches on- taking them off on it- first gear clutch pack goes on- 2nd gear 1st and 2nd are on, then 3rd all 3 go on. once your in it and visually see how different stuff works and blow shop air through different holes to see what clutches apply then its all easy :D

so enough with my ramblin- check the fluid level first, then clean it down with brake clean, fill it if it wasnt overfilled and is now low. get somone to have the brake on but start the car and put it in manual 123D and R and look for the leak :cheers:

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That plastic/metal orange grommet on the upward tube of the tranny filter is a bitch. When I replaced my filter, it had come off and stayed up in there.

·
trans tech
78 Posts
these transmissions had issues with the pump bushing loosening up & moving forward and blocking drainback hole in pump

1 - 11 of 11 Posts