Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i finally got my car to fire up after rebuild do to fouled plugs. now that its running ive now found out that somthing is up with my oil pressure when i first fire it up it has around 50psi then it starts to drop if i let it idle for a couple minutes it will drop to 10psi then i will shut it off let sit for a couple of mins and same thing, good pressure at start up then it drops off. the only thing we can think of is we felt the timing cover felt really tight to the shaft of the oil pump (shaft that connects to the cam sensor). we tried to open up the hole with some emery paper, which helped you could turn it freely with your fingers(u couldnt before we did this). as you can see you know where im going with this i think i need a good timing cover not a cheap one from summit/dorman. any input would be great

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx im gonna use that on my next timing cover this one's goin in garbarge. just found out i threw a rod bearing i guess im gonna be doin another rebuild, AGAIN
i've had the car 4 months still waiting to drive it, maybe ill see if it can float this weekend
lol.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
TA Front Cover

Another less labour intensive option would be a TA Front Cover. Just buy this and be done!

I installed mine over the winter and am very impressed with it.

These are machined in house by TA and are held to a much higher tolerance that even GM's covers.

There was next to no flashing on the inside of the oil passages & I found this cover needed very little "tweaking".

All the oil passage openings are a true 1/2" ID (with the exception of one area on one that needed only a little opening up).
I installed new Melling Standard Gears (set the clearances on the cover before I installed a new Melling Oil Pump Cover so the gears would have a nice flat smooth surface ). Now I get 55# oil pressure just cranking the engine and when it starts from cold yesterday I get 70#'s oil pressure.

Not too shabby.

I would recommend these covers to anyone thinking about replacing. The crank seal is installed on the outside & is secured in place with 3 screws.

Overall a big thumbs up! :yup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im gonna buy a ta cover for sure learned my lesson the hard way. think i might do a bit more research and just buy a complete engine rebuild kit if anyone knows any good ones let me know.

thanx
brent

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Where do you live??

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
As long as you have 10 psi of oil pressure at idle with a hot engine you should be good, I have 20 psi myself. The oil pressure will rise with the rpm, 1,000 rpm = 10 psi.
When I start my car the oil pressure is high, I always wait for the motor to warm the oil up before getting into the gas pedal to far. Ok to drive the car as soon as it's started, just don't get into anymore then you have to until its up to temp. This is easy to tell at a traffic light.

Chuck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts