Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I installed my cam and heads. When I came to intstalling the special little bolt that holds the cam tensioner in place, the fun began. I had just torqued the cam sprocket bolts to 31#, and I forgot to readjust the torque wrench to 14#. Anyway, I torqued and twisted the bolt head right off. I twisted the bolt head off of the threaded part, which of course remained in the block. It sheared off flush, so I had to drill it and use a bolt extractor. Also had to order another bolt which will be hear on Tuesday. Moral of the story: remember to re-adjust your torque wrench.
If Steve or Ed had been with me none of this would have happened. Thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
chrisgarrett46 said:
Today I installed my cam and heads. When I came to intstalling the special little bolt that holds the cam tensioner in place, the fun began. I had just torqued the cam sprocket bolts to 31#, and I forgot to readjust the torque wrench to 14#. Anyway, I torqued and twisted the bolt head right off. I twisted the bolt head off of the threaded part, which of course remained in the block. It sheared off flush, so I had to drill it and use a bolt extractor. Also had to order another bolt which will be hear on Tuesday. Moral of the story: remember to re-adjust your torque wrench.
If Steve or Ed had been with me none of this would have happened. Thanks a lot guys.
If you're using a vernier type, you should automatically reset it to *0*, after using it. That's a good habit, and avoids having to deal with this sort of thing.

BTW, I've never done that... <G>
Nope, never....

·
Registered
207 Posts
At least you have not gave up on your car :headbang: I though for a while you were about to quit :rocket:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
insane6 said:
At least you have not gave up on your car :headbang: I though for a while you were about to quit :rocket:
I may become discouraged at times, but I will never let this damn thing defeat me. One way or the other, I will work this out.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
That's the RIGHT way of thinking!!!! :D :6:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
cannot speak for Ed, but, sounds like what I would do when my mind is on cruise control. :dunno:

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
Have you ever tried to fill a brake bleeder valve with grease? They look amazingly like a grease fitting when you're scooting around under the car and are simple minded like...uhhhh...a neighbor of mine...yeah. that's it, a neighbor of mine did it. :cool:

·
old skool
3,738 Posts
yeah my nieghbor does stupid stuff like that all the time!! :D

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
i have a snap on techwrench- its digital it does nuton meters, inch pounds, and foot pounds.

i had just done a harmonic balncer at work and was torqueing the crank sensor. not realizing i had it set to foot pounds and the sensor was in inch pounds- once i hit about 20 foot pounds it snapped :D

we all do stuff like that so dont worry :sw:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts