Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I got it figured out
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well now that Indy is over I guess it's safe to let the cat out of the bag.

Prior to Indy I had been contacted by the race teams of Don Schumacher, John Force and Don Prudhomme to come out during the week of the Horsepower Nats for a job interview for a driver position.

All three teams seemed very interested in my driving services or at least that is what they told my agent. I guess they have heard about the JCC Racing Teams success stories at various Buick events and word must have traveled fast.

Attached are some pics of me going into the interviews.

First at DSR, great faciltity and we were given walking tour and needless to say I was quite impressed with Don, his money and winning attitude. The interview went well and they said they would be in touch.

My next interview was at John Force Racing. Hey who wouldn't want to work with the 13 time Funny Car champ. I interviewed well there too, they said they liked my personality and that based on what they saw they said I would probably make a good Powerade interview. Little did they know you guys have all seen that and how good of an interview I am, so I felt good about my chances at John Force Racing. Here's Ed and I at the door and him wishing me luck.

After an hour plus at John Force Racing I made my way over to Don "The Snake" Prudhomme Racing, great facility there too and with The Snakes legendary past who wouldn't want to work and drive for him either. I walked into the interview with Don with a toothpick in my mouth just to show him I am a regular guy just like him. That seemed to work and put him at ease during the course of my interview, which went well and he said he would be in touch.

Well sadly to say I didn't get any of the driver jobs that were available with any of the three race teams and Don Schumacher just hired Erica Enders so I guess her experience in Pro Stock was what they were looking for over me and my TSO experience.

I come away from these interviews motivated as I am sure my time will come it just wasn't last week.

So it looks like the JCC Racing Team is stuck with me until my contract comes up again for renewal.

In closing I would like to thank all my team mates at the JCC who stuck by me and encouraged me to "Go For It" (just like Rocky told Mr. T in Rocky 3 as their rematch began, that Rocky lost the first bout cause he got too commercial and found out Mickey was carrying him and then Mickey died). Without all the support from the JCC and Ed Baker's Park Ave I would have never been able to make those interviews.

Thanks again boys I appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Save me from myself!
3,115 Posts
I like how they have those mirrorred windows so they could lock the door right before you arrived! :D

·
Boost Addict?
2,080 Posts
Dam you kill me...should have taken Rachael with you,she could'a schmoozed you right in there. Steve Wood got the job driving for Force, Zap's driving for the Snake, and Chris Garrett for DSR....... :crazy: :D

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Yes, indeed. I have been hired by John as he wants to get back into the winner's circle with a Force car on a routine basis. He also wanted someone to tutor Ashley to jumpstart her with all the tricks of the trade.

I explained to him that Rich had as much baggage as he does personality, and, that any success that came his way would be accompanied by Otto standing along side offering up second guesses to the press corps.

After all, the top of the echelon brings more requirements than simple driving skills, and, charm. It requires a lot of pop psychology, ego stroking, and the ability to cut thru the butter and tell people where to take a hike and what to do on that hike.

As a demonstration of my talents, I sorted out Bazemore, and, Capps, while teaching Ashley the art of looking good while removing her helment. I also whispered in her ear about Ed Baker and his fabled Park Avenue. Look for Ed in the forthcoming commercials.

Needless to say, John offered me a contract on the site, and, I have accepted with only minor mods. :cheers:

·
I got it figured out
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve Wood said:
Yes, indeed. I have been hired by John as he wants to get back into the winner's circle with a Force car on a routine basis. He also wanted someone to tutor Ashley to jumpstart her with all the tricks of the trade.

I explained to him that Rich had as much baggage as he does personality, and, that any success that came his way would be accompanied by Otto standing along side offering up second guesses to the press corps.

After all, the top of the echelon brings more requirements than simple driving skills, and, charm. It requires a lot of pop psychology, ego stroking, and the ability to cut thru the butter and tell people where to take a hike and what to do on that hike.

As a demonstration of my talents, I sorted out Bazemore, and, Capps, while teaching Ashley the art of looking good while removing her helment. I also whispered in her ear about Ed Baker and his fabled Park Avenue. Look for Ed in the forthcoming commercials.

Needless to say, John offered me a contract on the site, and, I have accepted with only minor mods. :cheers:

>>> LMAO.........Classic Steve Wood.........You are the Best :cheers:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
No, you and Zap are the best. I am simply Abbot to your Costello, or Martin to your Lewis. :cheers:

Of course, I am also the crow to Groucho..but, I am Curly, Larry, and Moe all wrapped up in one package! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Steve Wood said:

You're a sick puppy, that's all there is to it. :)

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Buicksx2 said:
I come away from these interviews motivated as I am sure my time will come it just wasn't last week.
Sounds like it was more then just a little worth while.
Congrats, on even making the cut to talk to those folks.
Not to mention it'll be a great series of memories.

·
Got it figured out?
876 Posts
Did you think about borrowing Otto's truck for the interviews?

No offense to Ed and his generous help. Just a question.

·
I got it figured out
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ted A. said:

>>> Friends don't let friends smell all day, besides going into a job interview smelling bad is not a good thing IMO.

·
It's the goFUR
1,757 Posts
Ted A. said:

No offense to Ed and his generous help. Just a question.
Ted, Glad to have you back from vacation. I don't think Otto got the "Shower” option in his new truck. Besides, it's a known fact Otto won't let friends borrow his truck but instead allows them to smell all day so he can hang out with his "other" friends.

Rich, Jim, Ted, you can borrow my truck anytime.

Art.

·
I got it figured out
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TurboDiverArt said:
Rich, Jim, Ted, you can borrow my truck anytime.QUOTE]

>>> Now that's a friend indeed and Art my I also say that you, Ted and Jim as well as any of the JCC crew are welcome to my truck (although it's just a POS 1993 Ford truck.....gas no less not even a diesel, that can only travel 9 hours at a time.....no more....no less) anytime you wish.

My truck is currently being used by Tommy X as we pulled his motor out last night and it was late and I told him just to take my truck home and if he needed it to run any errands requiring a truck, Home Depot etc to feel free to use it.

I also gave Tommy the key to my garage today so he can work on breaking the motor down today, I also let him take my power washer home to clean up the engine bay when it's convenient for him.

I gotta tell ya I am some kinda friend............yep........yep I am, maybe that's why people like me so much as I help out my friends as much as I can.

My friends know that whatever is mine is their's.

I think I will also throw a BBQ soon and invite all my friends over to celebrate.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Maybe you could apply for a job as security guard at the WAWA? :confused:

Then you could pick up some side money teaching the little boys how not to throw rods while driving around the cul de sac! :cheers:

·
The quiet one
555 Posts
Buicksx2 said:
TurboDiverArt said:
Rich, Jim, Ted, you can borrow my truck anytime.QUOTE]

>>> Now that's a friend indeed and Art my I also say that you, Ted and Jim as well as any of the JCC crew are welcome to my truck (although it's just a POS 1993 Ford truck.....gas no less not even a diesel, that can only travel 9 hours at a time.....no more....no less) anytime you wish.

My truck is currently being used by Tommy X as we pulled his motor out last night and it was late and I told him just to take my truck home and if he needed it to run any errands requiring a truck, Home Depot etc to feel free to use it.

I also gave Tommy the key to my garage today so he can work on breaking the motor down today, I also let him take my power washer home to clean up the engine bay when it's convenient for him.

I gotta tell ya I am some kinda friend............yep........yep I am, maybe that's why people like me so much as I help out my friends as much as I can.

My friends know that whatever is mine is their's.

I think I will also throw a BBQ soon and invite all my friends over to celebrate.
Just wanted to say a huge thank you to my friend Rich. He graciously helped me out with pulling the motor and tranny in his garage, on a school night no less! I cant say thank you enough for the use of the garage, lift, tools, powerwasher and of course the truck. That truck idles like a towncar, rides like a caddy and pulls like a bear! :cool:

Rich, just let me know what I can bring for the BBQ :cheers:

Here's a couple pics :)

Attachments

·
Registered
775 Posts
Rich,

The only reason you were not hired is because you could not reach the pedals....Perhaps you should look into professional Jr Dragster racing?

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
TommyX said:
Just wanted to say a huge thank you to my friend Rich. He graciously helped me out with pulling the motor and tranny in his garage, on a school night no less! I cant say thank you enough for the use of the garage, lift, tools, powerwasher and of course the truck. That truck idles like a towncar, rides like a caddy and pulls like a bear! :cool:

Rich, just let me know what I can bring for the BBQ :cheers:

Here's a couple pics :)
now I know who to call when I need to put mine back together...now where does this bolt go :D yes Rich I know you have offered...but it still needs to go to the machine shop :)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Herb! A Zap for the 21st Century! :cheers:

·
Legend in my own Mind
981 Posts
I see your problem

Ya can't go to an interview in short britches. You need some trousers next time. That would have got you in fer sure!

Next time appropriate dress is paramount.

·
I got it figured out
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TurboRegal84 said:
Rich,

The only reason you were not hired is because you could not reach the pedals....Perhaps you should look into professional Jr Dragster racing?
>>> FU Herb

·
I got it figured out
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Steve Wood said:
Herb! A Realtor for Century 21
>>> That's how he owns a GNX

1 - 20 of 22 Posts