Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an 82' El Camino. I'm not posative about the engine in it besides the headgasket is blown! The engine has 153,000 on it and is covered in some slimey black stuff, lol. I was wondering opinions on what engine to put in it. Somthing easy, but sorry, no GN motor. I may want to use this for towing an don't thing I can afford a turbo motor anyway. I wanted to go with the supercharged 3.8 but think it may be more trouble than it is worth. This is my third car as of now, so I am in no rush with this. I am just tryin to get ideas to get the ball rollin. Thanks for any input! Be creative, time is on my side ugh

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Just drop another sbc crate engine in it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about that. bbut I want somthin with more balls. The car has air, and I also want that to work as well

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Carb/Turbo
1,615 Posts
Wow, I wouldn't go with a SBC, because it's a SBC, but to say they have "no balls" is a slam from the top ropes. headbang

Yea, a stock 305 is lame, but I've seen a SBC or two that can kick some butt. moon

If I had another El Camino, I would want the 4.3 TBI motor. For towing, a 350 SBC makes sense. Or a BBC or 455 Buick if you own a gas station. wink

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Chebby big block would be nice.

·
Registered
633 Posts
If you want the EL to run 12's all day long I'll sell you the motor/trans. out of my Monte. It was getting decent times with the crappy stock ignition cutting out at 6300rpm.

I'll take off the Victor Intake and put on a dual plane and that EL will pull an 18 wheeler trailer!!
She'll go cheap too !! I want to pay off some other debt.

·
Registered
534 Posts
You can build a really nice 350 with well over 300 hp for 2-3k, depending on what you want to do. Can't beat the sound of a burbling V8! Summit even sells crate engines.

·
Register Boozer
3,904 Posts
choose one or the other, torque or hp. I'd say go with another sbc, I personally am still hunting down a 455 for my ElCo, but no dice in San Diego. I also wnat some Lightning Rods for my GN (I'm a G-Body whore).

But, if you want torque, build yourself a 383. And use the newer Vortec heads, they're about $500 a set and flow as good or better than Bowtie heads out of the box. And use a Quadrajet, don't be afraid. As for your ignition, make sure you get a bigger coil on your HEI and use the MSD module that hooks up your spark past 4500 rpms. Lord knows the HEI needs it. And if you race it, good luck getting an El Camino to hook up. headbang

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
get the gm 350 delux. 350ci 330 hp. real nice motor :)like said before tho if you want a daily and still want a v6 the 4.3 infact... my buddy has 2 with trannys. the supercharged 6 i looked in to doing in my ss. just dont think it will be right.. me personaly i'd get a monte ss 305 and build it up... but then again i'm the only person that likes the motor. :)

·
Registered
633 Posts
i think westech makes a nice long block 350 for under $1,000 and i think it would be possible to build a 'claimer' motor using claimer high compression pistons/kit from Doug Herbert for under $900 (www.herbertperformance.com). just trying to keep with his 'budget' subject.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replys guys! I cant stop thinking of what to do from sun up till sun down, ya know. The "BUDGET" thing is very important. This Elky is the low car on the totem pole ut of my three other money pits. I do want somthing easy, that I can actually put in myself. With a little help from my friends. :D

Also, I meant no offense to the SBC, cause that is probbaly what will end up between the fenders. I just want good for cheap, and I know thats next to impossible to find! $2,000 is top dollar for what I am looking at. Thats pushin it for me. I still have to get my T painted. ugh

·
Buick Turbo Performance
2,058 Posts
Put a GN motor LC2 in it, 200r4 trans, 8.5 rear
Problem solved headbang

·
Register Boozer
3,904 Posts
Hey, firebird_1252, I thought I was the only one who loves the 305 motor! I got a few 305 recipes if you want them. I feel there's a certain amount of pride in taking an underdog like the 305 and getting up to 400 N/A horsepower out of it. I also build Toyota 22R's and air cooled VW's for sh!ts and giggles.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK guys, I have located a Pontiac 400 I can get for a couple hundered bucks. My buddie also has a 350 trans and a turbo 400 trans. Both will need to be redone. Also the motor is in pieces at a machine shop. It has a new crank and all, but what can be done to this motor to beef it up? I hear they have new heads for these cars now. How about cams, and stuff like that. The engine rebuild cost for this "stock" will cost me around $1800 I can probably get either tranny for 100 bucks a piece. Is this the way I should spend my budget?? Also, I think the tranny I have now is OK, so will the 400 bolt up to it? Will the air from a 78 Trans-Am mesh into a 82' El Camino?? As I write this I am thinking, is it worth it dunno So many questions, so little brain capacity :rolleyes:

·
Register Boozer
3,904 Posts
Go for the Pontiac 400, use the TH-400 if it has the BOP bolt pattern on it. Good tranny, I have an Art Carr TH-400 in my 81 El Camino, and the damn thing is bulletproof. It's outlived three motors, the last was a 383 in which I broke the cam in four pieces and I took a piece to my high school shop teacher. I think he crapped himself.

Anyway, use the Poncho 400, that's the last motor you'd expect to find in an El Camino. I'd put on a Grand Prix clip to piss off the Chevy guys too.

·
It's me, really
1,892 Posts
Heh, brings back memories. I converted an '81 Elco to a Grand Am before I sold it and bought the GN. It was cool. The Pontiac engine will need a really good radiator and fan. Ponchos run hot naturally so figure that all in on your budget. I'm sure some dual fans off an Intrepid and a nice 4-row recore would be sufficient. Just set 'em up to run on high with the key on. You can use a 180° stat also; no real need for a 160°.

·
Registered
609 Posts
4 bolt main SBC with a centrufical supercharger ;there's your light weight balls! seriously i just finished building a BOP OLDS 455 and pontiac,olds,buick are all way more to build and if you want serious power (dollar for dollar) JUST BUY A SUPERCHARGER kit for a SBC or if you must ;get a 454 truck block and buy a supercharger kit for it.it's faster ,cheaper and less headaches :)

<small>[ June 27, 2003, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: white shadow ]</small>

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the replys guys! The things I am wondering about are the air conditioning, and the HP of this motor? I think the 78' Trans Am(thats what its from) weren't very fast. This thing has like what, 190HP? I wanna beef it up. Or I will just get a 350 crate motor like Steve Wood says. For heads and stuff, where do I go. Anybody here know about Pontiac performance?? The air in this car being able to work is very important!! So would I buy te compressor forthe 78 Trans-Am and retro fit it, or am I just dreaming to think this is possible. It might just be less of a hassel in the long run to go with the 350. I can just get the first part of this project started cheap. I don't want it to be more than I can handle elbows deep in it, ya know. Thaks guys! usa

·
Registered
609 Posts
stock TA 400 was around 220 hp if you have to have it then just go buy a block for 50.00 to 100.00 and then get a good honest machine shop then buy the parts through SUMMITT;as for the tranny if you can find a chevy TH400 well built cheaper then you can buy an adapter from SUMMIT to fit the BOP'S TO A CHEVY.i still say get a chevy ;plus it just sounds better for a el camino.and it will wind up being cheaper in the end ;dollars for horsepower.good luck :)
ps:i own a 79 10th anniversary TA and i put a olds 455 well built in it for just 12,000 dollars not including the supercharger.

<small>[ June 27, 2003, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: white shadow ]</small>

1 - 20 of 23 Posts