Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i just put my new TA49 on the car and its slow as anything! anyway, i'm running 11lbs. my question is how do i turn the boost up?

and my thery is that on street trip 11lbs (keep me out of trouble) and track 23lbs? good combo?

my mods are, TA49, chip (dont know witch one), cat back ultra flows, gettin MAF pipe, cold air induction.

Rob

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Originally posted by firebird_1252:
hi all, i just put my new TA49 on the car and its slow as anything! anyway, i'm running 11lbs. my question is how do i turn the boost up?

Rob

Assuming you have a adjustable WG accuator"Just tighten the rod up.1 turn = 1 lb.

------------------
Keith Davis--Moneypit 86GN,Astroroof,DigDash'TTA crank,Ported polished heads & matched intake'TRW .30 forged pistons & PT51 Turbo,Manly SS valves,CC 206-206 cam'Postons headers,Orange stripe conv.THDP,2 1/2 exhaust'Hooker comp. mufflers'SMC alky,Boost command,Scanmaster2,MSD50 inj,Nitto DR's 275/50/15,All the braces,All gauges VDO.
12.8 @ 102 is with stock setup no times for new setup yet.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do i have to take the clip out to adjust it?

------------------
Rob
87 GN fully loaded with 81k
TA49
Ultra Flow exhaust
Cold air induction
shooting for low 13's high 12's

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Take the clip off. Loosen nut. I hold the rod with plyers and then insert an allen wrench into the hole to turn.
To get the rod back on, move elbow arm toward wastegate with one finger, while pulling rod toward elbow.
You should be able to run 15-17 lbs of boost without any trouble.
Do you have a scantool?
Is you fuel system upgraded?

·
SCONE WIZARD...
704 Posts
Just another thought...

I wouldnt expect any huge gains from the TA 49 over your stock turbo until you start approaching 20 PSI, b/c the stock turbo doesn't start to run out of efficiency until around 21 PSI..

If you have the fuel system to do it, and the proper octane fuel in your tank, the TA 49 @ 24 PSI with a race chip will turn your car from "slow as hell" to a completely different animal.

------------------
Steve Ruston
1987 Turbo Limited

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
11lbs? Thats way more than safe. I would consider 15-16psi Safe and 17+ with a Scantool.

I run 20psi on the street with an 18degree chip and 94 octane Sunoco.

At 15psi, It feels like a Dog, I cant image 11psi.

------------------
Mike Schoenfeld

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the resion why it went is because the guy in the first place had the boost turned up to the max! scantool just came in the mail today (OTC2000) but i dont have the manual so i dont know how to use it. i dont know if the fule system is upgraded.

like i said for street trip 11 psi.
track 23 psi or so. i know my injectors are stock.

------------------
Rob
TA49
Ultra Flow exhaust
Cold air induction

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
You should send that scantool back and buy a Scanmaster. OTC's blow for what we are doing with these cars.

Your 02 numbers are going to be off from what everyone else is talking about die to the OTC reading the 02 differently.

------------------
Mike Schoenfeld

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
See if there is a large guage wire running from the back of alternator to the gas tank-fuel pump area. If so, the fuel pump is hotwired and there is a good chance that you have an upgraded fuel pump. Another check would be to put on a fuel pressure guage. Use a braided line to attach so you can clip line on to windsheild wiper. Postons sells one. Watch to make sure you have 1 lb of fuel for 1 pound of boost. If you have this, your fuel system is probally OK.
Post for help on how to use the scan tool you have.
I don't think running 15-17 on the street is going to put that much stress on your turbo.
11 psi = no fun.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Originally posted by TTA89:

Your 02 numbers are going to be off from what everyone else is talking about die to the OTC reading the 02 differently.

if I recall correctly, the otc 2000 reads the same as TL, etc. It was the 4000 series that changed...I may be senile. Does not make any difference anyway....as long as you know what it reads at key on (.441 or .500) it is simple to correct to compare.

Again, I contend that one cannot tune this cars properly with a non recording scan tool.

I have a couple of scanmasters and they are great for monitoring max retard, setting the iac, etc but for serious tuning....no way.

I like TL for slower cars and DS for faser ones. No other way to optimize the fuel curves, etc.

[This message has been edited by Steve Wood (edited August 13, 2001).]

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i need alot of help with the scantool i just got it in the mail thismorning and the guy didnt send me the GM book i have the cartrage but no book. i'm gettin the car ready little by little the MAF pipe just came in today. 11 psi no fun yes does it keep me out of trouble yes. and the otc is just what i can afford for now.

------------------
Rob
TA49
Ultra Flow exhaust
Cold air induction

1 - 11 of 11 Posts