Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way back from the track, I got a scare when my engine light turned on. I pulled over and checked the code...23...easy fix, the air temp sensor plug fell out.

So I was on my way and the car was cruising great until my car lost power and shook for an instant. It ran fine, but then it did it again and would not stop. I got off on the first off ramp and it died while on the ramp. I tried to start it and it sounded like it wanted to start, but it would only backfire. It was shooting out white smoke while I tried to start it. Luckily, it was fuel, not coolant. There was so much unburned fuel that after trying to start it, I could see the gas evaporating out the exaust pipes. I let it sit for a while and tried to start it and it ran for about a second and then began to backfire. There are no codes. It is in my dad's shop right now and they said there is spark and there is fuel. They think it is MAF. What do you guys think?

I have a T-link recording of my second run at the track if anyone wants to take a look at it. It was giving me wierd knock numbers though. With the scanmaster, I observed no knock, but the T-link said something crazy like 56*. That must be wrong because I did not blow my headgasket and the car did not feel like it lost timing. It also gave me some malfunction codes that the computer did not store. One of them is MAF...

Thanks a lot!

------------------
1987 GN 14" K&N, Accel yellow tops, adj. wastegate, adj. FPR, XP Armstrong hotwired, 160*-stat, Hooker 2.5" catback exaust, Thrasher chips, shift kit, trans cooler, vdo boost/oil/temp guages, scanmaster v2.1, T-Link, Kirban's front/rear frame braces, Hotchkis lower control arms, variable rate rear springs, GNX wanna-be rims, and the rest is stock as far as I can tell...or too meaningless to list.

1987 Cavalier Z24 daily driver. 3-chamber flowmaster and 135db worth of stereo.

Shaun

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mass Air would be 1st guess. Did you try tapping on it to see if it starts? Or try someones that you know is good.

Timing chain would be 2nd guess. How many miles on engine? Chain could have jumped a couple or more teeth. Composite gear teeth could have broke off also.

Hope its the 1st guess!!
Joe

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it turned out to be the MAF. The engine only has 45K or so since the last rebuild.

I got a MAF from Kragen auto parts, but it is the one with the plug parallel to the MAF instead of perpendicular. What knid of draw-backs do I need to worry about with it? It seems everyone uses translator boxes with LT1 MAFs. Can someone explain why this is the way to go? Thanks!

------------------
1987 GN 14" K&N, Accel yellow tops, adj. wastegate, adj. FPR, XP Armstrong hotwired, 160*-stat, Hooker 2.5" catback exaust, Thrasher chips, shift kit, trans cooler, vdo boost/oil/temp guages, scanmaster v2.1, T-Link, Kirban's front/rear frame braces, Hotchkis lower control arms, variable rate rear springs, GNX wanna-be rims, and the rest is stock as far as I can tell...or too meaningless to list.

1987 Cavalier Z24 daily driver. 3-chamber flowmaster and 135db worth of stereo.

Shaun

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Durable, made out of metal, replaceable and still made. 3.5" size too for better flow.

Translator box actually works fine, is upgradeable and supported.

Stock new GM MAF is about $250-$300 new if you can find one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts