Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to keep my stock turbo and intercooler.
I don't want to run more than 93 octane
I would like to stay with a Red's 93 chip.
I would like to be in the low 12's with 17 psi of boost.

Can I do this?
I am thinking of getting an8" K&N and replacing the stock MAF pipe, dual 2.5 exhaust, larger injectors.

Will that do it?

------------------
87 Grand National - 23k,T-tops, Red Armstrong xp pump, 93 chip/Thrasher 92 (not sure which one I like better), and volt booster. VC breathers, stealth engine anchor, trans cooler, Fast Freddie knock detector, VDO boost/vac gauge. Stock motor and exhaust except for a test pipe. K&N filter in stock box with bottom half removed. Car weighed in at 3490 without me in the seat.

89 Daytona ES Turbo - daily driver (not too slow)

·
Registered
140 Posts
a stock car is not capable of low 12's on pump gas....you will be doing well to get into the low 13's...17lbs boost is marginal on pump gas unless everything is perfect...have you considered an alcohol system?

Woody

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have much info on Alky setups. They seem pretty cool what little I have read.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Alky will definately get you there. I'm running an totally stock combo and have gone 12.30's at 107 on 93 octane poump gas and alky. I still think theres more left in it with some mild porting work to the turbo and intercooler too. HTH

------------------
------
Rob Andersen
86 GN, Stock turbo and intercooler, Alchohol Injection, 43# Bosch injectors, MM Translator Plus w/3" MAF and extender chip, Hotwired Walbro 307, Hooker 2 1/2" duals, 3" THDP, Test pipe
12.39 @ 106.9 MPH

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Originally posted by Renthorin:
I don't have much info on Alky setups. They seem pretty cool what little I have read.
Steve Yaklin (also from Flint) uses a system just like this (in fact the pics are of his car) http://members.tripod.com/turboracer/maxeffort/alcohol.htm
It works pretty good, I will be going to it soon, race gas is a pain. You don't get any knock at 17 psi? What kind of timing are you running? not more than 18* I hope.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't know what timing I run. It is a Red's 93 chip for stock injectors if that helps. to date my mods are very limited. See sig.

BTW PRSRIZD_6 are you coming to the MBTC picnic tomorrow? I know you are not a member but what a good time to join up ;-)

------------------
87 Grand National - 23k,T-tops, Red Armstrong xp pump, 93 chip/Thrasher 92 (not sure which one I like better), and volt booster. VC breathers, stealth engine anchor, trans cooler, Fast Freddie knock detector, VDO boost/vac gauge. Stock motor and exhaust except for a test pipe. K&N filter in stock box with bottom half removed. Car weighed in at 3490 without me in the seat.

89 Daytona ES Turbo - daily driver (not too slow)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
should go 12s with a race chip and some good gas....

·
Registered
345 Posts
Some random thoughts....

I was running low 12's with all the stock stuff, andd before I got my TA49, I was under the impression a larger turbo would allow me to go faster with less boost. It only took one trip to the track to find out this was not true.

Larger injectors and a larger turbo WILL allow a car to go faster, but ONLY at boost levels greater than the stock turbo/injectors. Even If you only run the stock turbo to 18 psi, with the right chip and a good flowing exhaust, this is easy 12's.

Race gas is insurance. When my car was stock (turbo, intercooler, injectors, exhaust) it ran 12.8'[email protected] on 93 octane, but was getting 30 degrees of retard on the 2-3 shift. I could have easily blown it up, if I hadn't started using race gas.

Pumping 5 gallons in and out at the track makes it go a long ways and running 93 all the time keeps me from doing stupid things on the street that would jepordize my license and low insurance rates.

------------------
UNGN
My Timeslips Page
My G-body Homepage

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
If ya want to go fast you must use race gas.Also like ungn said good insurance for your motor"Alky system is ok to but nothing is better than RG.Alky seems to bog me down a bit.

------------------
Keith Davis--86GN,Astroroof,DigDash'TTA crank,Ported polished heads & intake'TRW .30 forged pistons & PT51 Turbo,Manly SS valves,Postons headers,T.C. Orange stripe conv.THDP,SMC alky,Boost command,Scanmaster2,MSD50 inj,Nitto DR's 275/50/15,All the braces,All gauges VDO.
12.8 @ 102 is with stock setup no times for new setup yet.

[This message has been edited by fast86 (edited August 05, 2001).]

·
Registered
72 Posts
I ran [email protected] on 17lbs boost and 94 octane with stock turbo and intercooler, but I just got done changing a headgasket. Race fuel insurance. I didn't even get much knock, I think it was on it's way out when I got the car. The #1 cylinder had a slight leak to the waterjaket, and I blew the #4 cylinder outward.

------------------
1986 Grand National [email protected] street ready
1985 T-Type [email protected]
1996 Impala SS [email protected]

·
Registered
30 Posts
My Regal ran its best with these mods: stock turbo, stock IC, stock heads (except Kirbans valve springs), 3in stock replacement downpipe, stock elbow, 100 Armstrong chip (few mods), 2 1/2 hooker exhaust, adj fuel regulator, 307 fuel pump. Car ran 12.52 at 110 mph. This was using c12 race gas and 22lbs of boost.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So as far as using race gas I assume that is of a leaded type? Should I just plan on getting several O2 sensors? I was kind of hoping for a street setup that would let me run high 12's all the time.

How about home made race gas with Xylene of a 100-104 nature? Would that be safe for 20lbs of boost and would that put me in the high 12's?

Is there any point in a 3" dp if I still have the stock muffler?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Exhaust before downpipe (unless the downpipe has a dump). For me my exhaust was worth almost 4 mph (106 to 110), while my 3" downpipe appears to be worth about 1 mph (I'll let everyone know when I test it)

For O2 sensors, thrashers don't seem to care to much about the O2 readings. I'll bet I've put hundreds of gallons of leaded race gas in my car over the years, but have only been through about 6 or 7 O2's.

Xylene mix will easily put you in the high 12's (maybe mid). A great chip is the Thrasher 100 for stock injectors at about 18 psi (with the stock turbo). Get one without stutter and with TCC lockup and use it at the track with xylene or a race gas mix (3- 4 gallons to a tank of 93). If you see any knock on the scan tool, use a litle more of the good stuff.

My car went [email protected] in the 1/8th mile with this chip/combo and that was before I knew what I was doing.

------------------
UNGN
My Timeslips Page
My G-body Homepage

1 - 14 of 14 Posts