Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just outside tinkering with the ol GN, just got back from cruisin around and noticed that it indeed does have a stumble that I just apparently got used to over time. Anyways, I was checking it over, and turned off the lights to look at the wires in the dark. Initially I didn't really see any arcing anywhere on the passenger side, but when I checked the drivers side the wires were lit up like neon tubes. A little rev and it lit up like a christmas tree. Moved back to the passenger side and gave it a rev, and a full blown arc jumped from the wire to the valve cover.

Only 2 years and not even 5000 miles on these #@[email protected]$ wires. $70 pieces of CRAP.

Anyone have some suggestions for GOOD wires? Is the set Kirban sells any good? I can run up there at lunch tomorrow if I have to.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
PLug wires are like any other generic part for these cars. Everyone has one they like. I use Accel Extreme 9000 Ferro-Spiral heat reflective wire set and love them. They have a gray boot at the plug and a nice thick black wire. They look nice in the GN engine compartment IMO. $79.95 from Summit. This should be the link for them like I said.. with these cars you ask 10 people and they will give you 10 different plug wires they like. But so far no problems with these! :6:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Well the Magnecor wires haven't let me down yet, so i'm stickin with em, for now.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I buy Beldens, the cheapy Car Quest wires, and replace them yearly.

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
I running Quad Air wires. Inexpensive and work great!!!

My .02 cents :6:

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone ever use Kirban's wires? I guess they're Magnacores, he says "Mag" in the catalog. I'm itching to swap these suckers out sooner rather than later so I may run up there at lunch and pick up a set. If I don't I'm liking the ones Jim posted - maybe it was the heat that killed the MSDs.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jim, I ordered a set of those wires you linked to. I think they'll look good with my black pipes. I'm twitching but I'll just wait to swap em out. Would like to have worked on it tonight while its less than 100 degrees out though!

·
Risky Business
6,409 Posts
Performance Distributors "LiveWires"

http://www.performancedistributors.com/livewire.htm

May not be listed, but they make a set for the Buick V6. Not real cheap, but good wires and made very well. Dan Laizure has a set and showed me a while back.

I'm still using my Taylor Spiro-Pro's until they're toast. Then I'll probably try the Livewires.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Are you talking about the 8.5 super conductors???? I know everyone has an opinion, but i bought these when i got the car three years ago and havent had one problem yet. thats three years and about 60k and theyre good as new...

·
At my signal,unleash hell
77 Posts
gnetic86 said:
Anyone ever use Kirban's wires?
Yes. Fit is good, price is reasonable and I've had a set on my car for about 3-years, pretty limited mileage, garage queen lately.
S.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was so close to just running up to Kirbans, but then I realized that gray wires around my not-so-clean-but-getting-cleaner-by-the-minute engine would look like crap really quick, so I just ordered the Accell high temp ones.

·
Village Idiot
2,543 Posts
As usual I am the opposite of everyone else. :D I will never buy another set of Magnecors again. Their "lifetime" warranty is a joke. I pulled the end off of the wire the first time I pulled it off of the plug (yes, I know how to pull a boot). They had maybe 100 miles at best on them. I sent it back to the vendor for a warranty fix. The end was just shoved back into the boot and sent back to me. We pulled it right back out with a set of needle nose pliers. :mad: I ended up fixing that wire and proceeded to pull 2 more ends off. I have no complants about my MSD's other than the color. It sorta gives away my stock appearing motor compartment. :D The first set I bought were Quad Air. They worked fine but seemed a little short. :dunno:

·
Help computer!
913 Posts
gnetic86 said:
Anyone ever use Kirban's wires? I guess they're Magnacores, he says "Mag" in the catalog. I'm itching to swap these suckers out sooner rather than later so I may run up there at lunch and pick up a set. If I don't I'm liking the ones Jim posted - maybe it was the heat that killed the MSDs.
I have the Kirban wires and have had zero issues with them. They even say "Bad to the Bone" on them :yup:

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Installed the new Accel wires today, as well as some fresh plugs. Old plugs (which weren't that old) looked great. Hard to say just how much they helped since the weather tonight cooled down to near perfect GN atmosphere - cool and humid!

I popped the tops and went for a spin, and she's definitely running better! Still seems to stumble sometimes tho, thats gonna drive me nuts. I gotta go back to that gas station I went to the day that made it run awesome.

I'd also like to officially sign up for next year's burnout contest at Hooberfest :D

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PS - Forgot to mention that the Accel wires had a much better feel going on than the MSDs did. I remember when I originally got the MSDs I couldn't believe I had to tighten up a couple of the boots with pliers to get them to stay on, even on the coil pack!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.