Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Addicted to BOOST
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out that the '84 to '87 Buick Regal (Grand National) is on the list to recieve a FREE MPI Immobilizer.
We (McNaught Pontiac) will be an authorized installed in a few weeks so if you want one call MPI soon and set up an appiontment with us.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I got a letter in the mail the other day saying I am eligible for a free one. My only worry is with cutting up the wiring. If we can modify the connectors with out cutting the wires I'd be in!

·
Addicted to BOOST
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're worried about wiring after all the performance and stereo work done to you car :confused:

I'm getting one in my car, it will be done right here at the shop with me standing over the guy here who does them to make sure it's done right.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Is this a Manitoba thing!!!

Hi

Is this a GM or Manitoba thing!!! I haven't seen anything in Toronto/Ontario

dave

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
channer said:
Hi

Is this a GM or Manitoba thing!!! I haven't seen anything in Toronto/Ontario

dave
It's a Manitoba thing. Our local insurance company will pay to have one of these installed and give up a whopping $40 discount a year on our insurance. What made me mad is I couldn't get a discount when I had my thrasher chip. I even offered to give them the keys to see if they could start it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Does Manitoba have a higher than normal average on car thefts. I'm surprise that the insurance company will pay for the immobolizers... Is this your insurance company or province wide?

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
It's public, MPIC(Manitoba Public Insurance Company). Rates aren't bad, last year they made a good profit and being public owned had to send everyone a rebate. I got $200, so that isn't too bad. They just started paying for it this year. If your car is on the most stolen list it is free and the Buick Regal makes the list.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The Co operators in Ontario still do this I think.

·
Addicted to BOOST
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
forzfed said:
It's a Manitoba thing. Our local insurance company will pay to have one of these installed and give up a whopping $40 discount a year on our insurance. What made me mad is I couldn't get a discount when I had my thrasher chip. I even offered to give them the keys to see if they could start it.
Actually Nick it's not a Manitoba thing...it's a Winnipeg thing. If you live outside the city your not eligable for a free immobilizer.

After Sept 1/06 MPI can force you to install an immobilizer or cancel theft insurance within 30 days if the vehicle is stolen.

If anyone wants one we are already backed up to middle of August. I can't even get my own car in until July 19, and I work here.

MPI looks at it this way... it they save one vehicle from being stolen and someone isn't killed as a result than it worth it. It only costs MPI $280.00 per vehicle for immobilizers as oposed to a couple grand if it's stolen.

As for your Thrasher chip Nick, it's to easy for you to take it out after you rebate is given, with these immobilizers it's hard wired into the vehicles electrical systems and very hard to even find as all the wires a one color. Our installer does a very good and neat job, when he's done you can't even tell where he put the hardware under the dash.

·
Addicted to BOOST
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We had a no show for an immobilizer to I went home and got the GN. Dave installed my immobilizer and he even came and got me before he put the hush panels back under the dash for my stamp of approval. I couldn't even see where he installed it, he had to show me. Only 3 wires are cut and all splices are soldered heat shrunk and sealed with amalgamating tape.
Now with the alarm and the immonilizer I have 2 blinking red LED's on my dash. He didn't even drill anything for the LED, he put it in my consol gauge pod. Don't care if a hole gets drilled in that.

Now if he does any other Turbo Buicks he knows which wires to go for. That's what took the longest, finding the 3 circuits to by-pass.

Now my truck and car are done and it didn't cost me a dime.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts