Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How critical is the MAT data to the ECM? To me, that is useless information and I would think it more meaningful if the sensor was in the intake or just before the TB. What would be the problem, if any, if the sensor wasmoved to the intake? Being able to review a DS file and see the intake air temp, IMO, is more useful information. I often wonder if there is an I/C heatsoak problem while doing a burnout and spoolup. The optimum situation would be to measure the air temp at the MAF and the intake to see just how efficient the I/C is at full boost.

Looking for opinions.

------------------

Scottie's GNZ

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
The MaxEffort relies on this sensor for proper operations. Don't know how it would affect the MaxEffort's performance.

I would also be worried about the sensor melting or coming apart. It's plastic, and I am sure at the track, 300*F intake temp is not unusual..

Then again, I know someone that has done this.. care to share Cal?

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have seen these in the lower plenum a few times.
It will give a more acurate reading of acual temps into the motor

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, I don't know if your sensor is the same as mine, but the SyTy's MAT were in the upper from the factory. You can see it this sunday at OSW if you want Scottie.

------------------
Christian Dionne
Sy #1252
Orlando, FL
[email protected]

·
Registered
243 Posts
There are a LOT of GM vehicles that use the same sensor as our GN mounted in the plenum.

On MOST of the DFI/SpeedPro installs I do, I mount the sensor in the back of the upper plenum. Mine is mounted right in the middle of the back side (firewall). I have mounted several others on the d/s rear. I position it between the throttle cables. You can then bring the wiring out of the harness back where the knock sensor/trans harness exit.

When it is mounted here, the air temp correction table becomes more useful (slightly).

I record this data when I am making a pass. If I remember correctly, I generally see around 140 after my burnout when I pull up to the line (Heatsoak). After I launch the intake temp ramps down to around to 80-90's then it ramps back up to 140-150's through the traps.
My liquid intercooler was another story

------------------

1 - 5 of 5 Posts