Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Free Door Removal
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke in my engine today, at about 2200 rpm and the oil pressure was around 45psi after the coolant reached about 200 degrees with sae30 rotella and EOS. Started on first key turn perfect, brought it right to about 2000 rpm and played with it between 2200 and 2600 rpm for about 22 minutes.

After I pulled the shim out keeping the engine revs up the throttle closed and the engine stopped, wouldn't restart starter would just click and batter voltage is a little low at 11.5 but should be enough to start. I think the IAC may be way off though because I got the throttle body bored to 62mm and wasn't sure how close it was before, would this make it not idle?

Gonna change the oil tomorrow and look for metal, this motor had no noticable valvetrain noise or anything, ran smooth as glass and pretty quiet, the open downpipe sounded amazing, neighbors loved it. :yup:

anything I should check/do at this point?

Joe

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
no relation between the starter not turning over, and, the iac

·
Addicted to BOOST
810 Posts
What's up with all the posts lately with engine's that won't start immediatly after cam break-in? :confused:

·
Free Door Removal
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ha steve I know that

I think the motor died from the IAC...maybe??

starter is just clicking not turning the motor over after engine died from not ideling

Joe

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I doubt the iac is bad...might need adjusting, or you have a big vacuum leak from the pcv, etc. Of course, it might be.

First thing to do is find out why it won't crank, I would think. Why is the voltage only 11.5 after running for 22 minutes? Did you remember to plug the brown wire back into the alternator?

Have you charged the battery back up?

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
If you now did get enuf power to re-start, you're not regenerating power to keep ECM/ electronic ignition/ etc. running.

You were lucky to have completed your cam break-in before using up your low battery reserve.

Def. need correct/repair battery recharging capability. I'm sure it's a simple wire/connection somewhere--Good Luck!

·
Free Door Removal
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have three total wires going to the alternator:

one for the fuel pump hotwire
one directly from the batter to same terminal as fuel pump hotwire
and one single wire in a clip on the back/side of the alternator

missing something???

Joe

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Nope, did you charge the battery and start over?

·
Free Door Removal
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I figured it out,

Batter has 12 volts but still won't start. All lights are nice and bright and horn is loud as hell but the starter just clicks real fast.

Think I will take advance autoparts up on that 2 year warranty on the battery :yup:

Joe

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
How about the connections & warranty on the starter?

·
Registered
732 Posts
A battery with 12.0 volts typically will not start a car.

12.6=100%
12.45=75%
12.3=50%
12.15=25%

10-11 volts will typically run lights, turn signals etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Check you wire going to the starter see if it touched anything hot and cooked it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.