Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using MMC's TE52 "Hot Street" turbo or know if it will be a better upgrade than a TE44?Same money I dont want to wish later i had got it instead of the TE44! Stock converter will be used.plus whats in sig.My goals dont include comp rasing,just a little T & T & street fun!

------------------
86GN,Astroroof,Fresh .20 block TTA crank,Ported polished heads,intake & stock Turbo,Manly SS valves,Postons headers,THDP,SMC alky,Boost command,Scanmaster2,868 inj,Nitto DR's 275/50/15,All the braces,All gauges VDO.

G

·
Originally posted by fast86:
Anyone using MMC's TE52 "Hot Street" turbo or know if it will be a better upgrade than a TE44?Same money I dont want to wish later i had got it instead of the TE44! Stock converter will be used.plus whats in sig.My goals dont include comp rasing,just a little T & T & street fun!

This turbo, a.k.a., PT52 is a wonderful up-grade.
It will work best with a 2900-3000 stall converter.

Ron

------------------
Ron's Custom Automotive
Certified NJ Emission Repair Facility
1-800-718-7667
GSCA # 2306 / PR Director
BCA # 26330
www.ronscustomauto.com
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In other words in looking to spend another $13 $1400 to use the TE52.So scratch that!How will the TE51 work with my car?Would it still be a better upgrade than a TE44?Hec how will my injectors work with TE51 or 44?I could probly sell my 868's & get some red stripe 40's or would that be a waste of $$ cause the 36'er's will be suffecient

------------------
86GN,Astroroof,Fresh .20 block TTA crank,Ported polished heads,intake & stock Turbo,Manly SS valves,Postons headers,THDP,SMC alky,Boost command,Scanmaster2,868 inj,Nitto DR's 275/50/15,All the braces,All gauges VDO.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you are going to run the stock convertor for sure the TE-44 will give decent flow and very fast spooling. The TE-51 will give a little slower spooling out of the hole but more power on the top end. I've had both on my GN and the TE-44 would definatly out spool the PTE-51 but the PTE-51 makes more power with less boost. PTE-51 would work better with a little bit of a stall convertor though. TE-60 or bigger can be a little much for the stock D5.

Just my 2 cents.

36lb injectors will work okay for a starting point anyway which commonly is low 12's/high 11's. I'd recommend 009's or MSD-50's.

------------------
Chad Schwartz (Mr. URL Sir-Links-A-Lot)
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
"The Need For Speed" Website
Cars, pictures, movies, screen savers, tech info, links, and more!

[This message has been edited by Chad Schwartz (edited February 06, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
If you go to PTE's website and look under turbos, it will give suggested stall speeds for converters.

The 868s are ideal for the 44. The 52 could use 42s. One can run 11.7s on the 44 and have great spool up on the stock converter.

Lots of people have mumbled about poorer spool up on the 51 and the 52 is a definite step up from that.

I kinda suspect you would be disappointed with the 52 and a stock converter....

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

86 GN bought new, TE45/ported heads/CAS front mount/MSD50's/TH dp/210 PTE Roller Cam/9-1 c.r./65mmTB-Hemco plenum/2 3/4" exhaust/Eibach springs/GNX style wheels/MAXEFFORT 16 pos chip with gas out feature/venturiless maf

87 T-type-Stock short block/ported heads/red stripes/TE44/2.5" Hooker exhaust/MAXEFFORT 16 position chip with gas out

81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Originally posted by fast86:
Anyone using MMC's TE52 "Hot Street" turbo
I don't know how it would compare to any other turbo but I can tell you I had what I consider irritating lag on my car when I used the TE52 and a 12" 2800 converter. I don't want instant spoolup, but this lag was perceptible. I have since switched all of the above components and I suspect what really made the difference (for the better) was the 9.5" 3000+ converter.

------------------
MJ

[This message has been edited by CDNGN (edited February 09, 2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts