Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`ve notice a lot of oil smoke from my car latley and today i notice a big oil puddle under the car, so i was looking around the top of the timing cover where most of the oil was located and notice a set screw on top was missing...do you think the screw went in or out of the timing cover...not sure myself just dont want to go thru all the trouble of removing it..but will if needed..thanks

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Probably inside. And if it made it past the chain without catching and getting ground up it's in the pan. Pulling the pan is simple. Try that 1st,let us know what you find.

·
Now what?
461 Posts
~ 5 years ago, mine fell IN while I was driving. Busted the timing chain and gears and messed up my motor bad enough that I had to have it rebuilt. :rant:

Do yourself a favor and pull the pan and/or cover and find it...or at least make sure it's not in the chain/gears somewhere.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got time to remove the oil pan and when pouring the oil that was left in the oil pan into a container thats when i heard a thump, it was the set screw it was not chewed up nor damaged but still going to check out the timing chain and cam..

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
if it has no marks on it...I would not worry about it...some people are just damned lucky! :usa:

·
Registered
835 Posts
if the motor is running then don't worry about taking anything apart, mine was leaking oil as well one day and i noticed it was gone.... i put a bolt in there and was done. A year later after blowing a headgasket i dropped the pan and it was in there. I think im gonna go home and remove the set screw from my dads 86 as well. Scary thing

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I removed the timing chain and cam...nothing chewed up nor wore out so i quess the screw missed everything :D ...... now since the cam is out its time for a new cam...was not satisfy with the 218/218 comp cam...what would be a good cam with a TE-63 :dunno: I`m thinking about a 224/224...is that a good cam? :6:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
The 218 should be good into the nines...how fast you going, and do you want it to be streetable?

Put a 214 roller in it and quit taking it apart!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
What is the function of that set screw? (I guess it's really a plug, not a set screw) I know that only some of the front covers have it, but it has to be there for some reason, not just to cause trouble.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Those aftermarket covers have that hole in the top of them like that for some unknown reason. They come with a small allen plug but the plug will screw all the way through on its own. I am betting the hole was supposed to be pipe thread or maybe the material is just too thin in the top of the cover for the plug to tighten up and stop. I'd recommend cutting a small bolt to the correct length and using a fiber washer under the head. Loctite, glue, epoxy it in place so it doesn't come loose or leak. Of course with the bolt if it does come out it can't end up in the motor. The next front cover that I have to use like that will get welded closed before it goes on the motor. Not a huge issue but it's one of those things that could result in huge problems from such a small detail.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Orlando_87GN said:
Those aftermarket covers have that hole in the top of them like that for some unknown reason. They come with a small allen plug but the plug will screw all the way through on its own. I am betting the hole was supposed to be pipe thread or maybe the material is just too thin in the top of the cover for the plug to tighten up and stop. I'd recommend cutting a small bolt to the correct length and using a fiber washer under the head. Loctite, glue, epoxy it in place so it doesn't come loose or leak. Of course with the bolt if it does come out it can't end up in the motor. The next front cover that I have to use like that will get welded closed before it goes on the motor. Not a huge issue but it's one of those things that could result in huge problems from such a small detail.

i could be wrong but i was under the impression that the hole was actually used for something on the bigblock cars or something of that nature?

·
Now what?
461 Posts
Ormand said:
What is the function of that set screw? (I guess it's really a plug, not a set screw) I know that only some of the front covers have it, but it has to be there for some reason, not just to cause trouble.
Well I think the function of the plug is simply to close the hole. :D I think the hole is there because the cover is "universal" and can be used in other engine applications and in those applications, that threaded hole is an attachment point for something. :dunno:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just look at my cam and two lobes where wipe out, so a cam replacement is a must now...might go with the roller...Steve who makes the 214 that you was talking about...going to do some searching and get somemore info on roller cams...the car drove fine before, what could cause the lobe to wear out...just installed it last year :dunno: anyway thanks for the info

·
It's a 'G' thang
1,071 Posts
What does this "plug" or "set screw" look like? I want to see some detailed pics guys. :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dont have a camera, but it just a small screw that has a allen head...used to hold or lock something in place...thats the best i can describe it :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
HELLRZR said:
just look at my cam and two lobes where wipe out, so a cam replacement is a must now...might go with the roller...Steve who makes the 214 that you was talking about...going to do some searching and get somemore info on roller cams...the car drove fine before, what could cause the lobe to wear out...just installed it last year :dunno: anyway thanks for the info
Lots of things can cause them to wear out...like not tearing the engine and cleaning all the oil passages thoroughly...break in...type of oil, etc. etc. etc. :)

Talk to Bill Anderson about a roller...Eightsecondv6 on here..or something similar to that. He can provide a grind that will meet your needs, and give you the best advice on specs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts