Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I am trying to set up my car. I just bought a Jay Carter 93 chip. It was running really rich (stink exhaust and dead off the line) and I have already reduced the fuel pressure from 40 to 32.5 hose off. I have seen 17lbs boost with no knock, alky turned off. I don't have a scan tool and I am prefer to err on the side of caution. My question is: What is the MINIMUM fuel pressure, if any? I want to keep reducing fuel pressure a little to see if the car picks up or should I just raise the boost instead?
Yes I know that I should get a scantool, and I will when funds permit.

Thanks,

Ravi

·
Risky Business
6,409 Posts
You need a scantool to see what your car and chip likes. You could then find out the minimum to run with whatever amount of boost you run. WOT fuel pressure under boost is where you want it to be safe.

<small>[ June 19, 2003, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: GrndNatnl ]</small>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Ravi, quit spending money on whatever you spend it on until you can buy a scan tool! :)

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve, I hear you. I am just trying to "maximize" my current combo. I bought the Jay Carter chip because I was at a Buick get together here and it made the car run smoother. Saving up for a Scanmaster...currently using a Casper's knock detector.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
:) takes a scan tool to maximize it. Problem is that the sm does not record data but it is better than nothing. Sounds like the JC chip is not set up for your car?

Glad you have that knock detector! That and an egt will go a long way. :)

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought the chip off of someone with similar mods to mine. The car does have more power and better gas mileage than the borrowed Red Armstrong chip I had. I am waiting for a major chip maker to make me one for my car specifically .
Steve, does that mean that you recommend another type of scantool? If so, which one?? My car seems to like lower fuel pressure.

Thanks for your help guys,

Ravi

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
TRFanatic:
I bought the chip off of someone with similar mods to mine. The car does have more power and better gas mileage than the borrowed Red Armstrong chip I had. I am waiting for a major chip maker to make me one for my car specifically .
Steve, does that mean that you recommend another type of scantool? If so, which one?? My car seems to like lower fuel pressure.

Thanks for your help guys,

Ravi
Similar mods??? Does that mean the same injectors? Because if the chip isn't made for the same size injectors (flow rate) then that would explain the bazarre fuel pressure you have to run.
Otherwise, I might also suspect the accuracy of your fuel pressure gauge!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He had the same injectors (009's). My fuel pressure gauge has been checked and is accurate. My car is a dog with high fuel pressure. I have had at least two guys with experience and scantools set up the car and they have had to keep the fuel pressure low for the car to respond.

Thanks,

Ravi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts