Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starter is installed. Which post does the three larger wires go to? On the factory starter, they all three went to the same post. I tried connecting them to the bare post (one without the wire going into the starter itself) and when I reconnected the negative battery cable, the starter tried to kick over. Small wire is to small post. Key was not in ignigition when this happened.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Thanks for jumping in Steve...

Yes the starter gets hooked up exactly as the stock one. If you have it hooked up in this manner, maybe there is a problem with the solenoid.

I have been meaning to make some color instructions for the Mini-Starter install to include in the box, but that is on the back burner for now..

Maybe you can perform a little test.

All the fuseable links should hot all the time no matter what (battery connected of course). These get connected to the starter on the big post with nothing connected to it.

The small wire should be hot only when the Key is put in the start position.

Try to perform the test with the wires disconnected from the starter to rule out any internal shorts.

If we find the starter faulty, let me know so I can get another one out to you ASAP. I'll cover the shipping to get it there extra quick, but I'll need that one back.

Thanks.

------------------

Stock Block, Stock Cam, PTE-52, Champion Heads, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3680# with Driver
12.0 @ 116.5mph w/20psi using 17.9* timing

mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve and Mike,
Thanks for the quick replies. Starter works great. Apparently I had one of the fusable links or battery cable touching the small wire from the ignition. Instructions would have been helpfull but really aren't necessary if people just remember to:
1. Leave the large post with the wire coming off of it to the starter itself alone.
2. Ensure that none of the other wires are touching the small post for the ignition wire.
Love that sound.

------------------
Steve Evans
MD tags: WE4

1 - 4 of 4 Posts