Turbo Buick Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Oh the irony...

I had quite a busy day at work, and as such didn't post back but as we were talking about cats, I get an email from Kathy saying her svc engine light came back on. Her car has....71,000 on it. :rolleyes:

Would it matter that its a Firehawk? (SLP modified Firechicken) I take it that it would have SLP cats on it maybe?

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Oh the irony...

I had quite a busy day at work, and as such didn't post back but as we were talking about cats, I get an email from Kathy saying her svc engine light came back on. Her car has....71,000 on it. :rolleyes:

Would it matter that its a Firehawk? (SLP modified Firechicken) I take it that it would have SLP cats on it maybe?
my 94,95 and 2000 hawks all came with stock f-body manifolds, cats and y-pipes

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
Scojack,
A line lock install is very easy and straight forward. Some (if not most) might say easier, quicker and less labor intensive than doing lower control arms, bushings and a rear swaybar (what you just did).

Paulie is a GREAT wrench and I'd recommend him to anyone, but why spend the time & money (in fuel + tolls) to drive all the way up there when you can have the job done yourself in just a couple of hours? You've learned a lot by working on your car yourself, why turn down another opportunity to learn something new?

Although I can't help you turning wrenches (too much other side work at the moment), you are more than welcome to come look at my car to see how I did mine. 99% of all the other Buicks I have seen with linelocks have them mounted in the same place.

It's not that hard. Do the work yourself and be proud of it! :)

-Banning.

·
Buick Hypochondriac
3,236 Posts
Scojack,
A line lock install is very easy and straight forward. Some (if not most) might say easier, quicker and less labor intensive than doing lower control arms, bushings and a rear swaybar (what you just did).

Paulie is a GREAT wrench and I'd recommend him to anyone, but why spend the time & money (in fuel + tolls) to drive all the way up there when you can have the job done yourself in just a couple of hours? You've learned a lot by working on your car yourself, why turn down another opportunity to learn something new?

Although I can't help you turning wrenches (too much other side work at the moment), you are more than welcome to come look at my car to see how I did mine. 99% of all the other Buicks I have seen with linelocks have them mounted in the same place.

It's not that hard. Do the work yourself and be proud of it! :)

-Banning.
Banning, I hear you; believe me. But I just dont feel comfortable messing with brake systems. I dont know why, it just seems a little complicated to me. And the same goes for electrical work. I cant stand doing that either. I wont turn down an opportunity to learn something, I just need some experienced guidance thats all.

I would do it myself, but I guess I really dont trust myself enough (yet) to do that installation on my own. I'll do mechanical work all day long, but brakes and electrical work just seem beyond my abilities at the moment. Im sure someday I'll be able to do it, just not yet.

·
Money Pit
2,300 Posts
At least with the line lock you can test operation in your driveway.

·
Irradiate This!
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Scojack,

I'm like you and quite nervous when it comes to brakes, just not much experience with them. Paul just did the line lock on my car. The main things were: make sure you have the right fittings, and sure the brakes are bled well and nothing leaking. If you have a ready made kit, there's not much to installing it besides taking the original line off the master cylinder and tightening up some fittings. Mounting the line lock and running the electrical connection is as easy as it gets with these cars. Just make sure nothing is leaking on the lines. After that, there will be some air in the line so the bubble needs to be squeezed out or the brakes bled. You could probably do everything yourself and then get someone to help bleed the brakes at the end and to make sure its good to go.

In other news, my GN arrived safe and sound yesterday. My dad said it got 22mpg on the trip from SC and didn't use any oil and had no rattles. :D He brought up some extra paperwork he had with it (I bought the car from him a few years ago) including the original window sticker. The car only has 5 options: wiper delay, tilt, rear defrost, cruise, and posi. Its pretty much a factory lightweight. Those would be the options I would want except for the cruise control. Power windows and locks are nice except the switches always seem to break on me.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
^ Figures, that always happens to me! I waste money on SLP cats, then I come across a deal. Lemme see if I can get reimbursed on the SLP pieces.... :)
If you want, you can borrow them until your other stuff arrives. But, if you melt 'em you bought 'em:yup:

·
Registered
852 Posts
^ Artie, what's this I hear about someone on LS1tech buying clogged up stock ones for $125.00 a piece? Before I actually cut mine off, and throw them out, wanted to be sure I was hearing the rumors right lol. :confused:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
^ Artie, what's this I hear about someone on LS1tech buying clogged up stock ones for $125.00 a piece? Before I actually cut mine off, and throw them out, wanted to be sure I was hearing the rumors right lol. :confused:
Stock cats off OBD2 cars fetch between $50 and $150 as scrap. That's why they keep cutting them off cars and stealing them. Don't cut them off, and you can get back some of the $$ you spent on replacements when you scrap 'em.

·
Registered
852 Posts
^ The problem for me though is that only one of them would be worth anything. In '98, the passenger's side cat is located further down, and needs to be cut off (no flanges). Here's a pic of the passenger side one... :mad:

The piece behind it is just a bracket, and the hole in front of it was used to check backpressure.... :)

·
TTA#219
1,587 Posts
Yeah Rob...Just cut it up and scrap it....

It's only a turd Blue Firechicken...You can grab another one at any local scrap yard....:kekegay:

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
blackbird on ls1tech buys PAIRS of cats for 125 shipped he bought two sets from me. They have platinum in them

·
Registered
852 Posts
Raist103 said:
blackbird on ls1tech buys PAIRS of cats for 125 shipped he bought two sets from me. They have platinum in them
So he needs them solely for the Platinum inside, doesn't want to re-use them for any particular application? If this is the case, I'll rip off both of them suckers, and send them his way. If he pays me w/paypal prior to our run @ e-town tomorow night guys, White Castle's will be on me....!!!! :yup:

·
TTA#219
1,587 Posts
So he needs them solely for the Platinum inside, doesn't want to re-use them for any particular application? If this is the case, I'll rip off both of them suckers, and send them his way. If he pays me w/paypal prior to our run @ e-town tomorow night guys, White Castle's will be on me....!!!! :yup:

Mmmmm......Sliders...Yummy!!:cheers:

See,With that kind of gesture,It goes to show what kind of person you are..After the thrashing you will be getting by a few buicks tomorrow...You would still be nice enough to take us to white castle.

And let me be the first to say...If you do not get your paypal windfall,(Which Im assuming not)Because then you would not have the clogged cat excuse anymore...:D...

White castle will be on Paul!!:phatyo:

21 - 40 of 47 Posts