Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys run, or know somebody that runs methanol in their GN motor?? My reason for asking is that it's that time of year again to get mine smogged and I'm beginning to wonder if it'd be cheaper to switch fuel instead of trying to find somebody to illegally smog my vehicle. Cali is notorious for smog laws but they do have this option of being smog exempt if you run an alternative fuel. What are my options? I know about the corrosive effects but was just wondering if these turbo v6's respond well to this type of fuel. It doesn't sound like it'd be too difficult and any opinions/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

scott wile

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Talk to Don Wang of DRW trannies out there in California. He did a conversion. Not sure it is cost effective, tho.

Should not be that hard to pass the emissions side but some of your other stuff might be the hard part?

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Piece o' cake.
4 parts high test and 1 part Methyl Hydrate.
Mix vigorously and go for the test.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Why won't it pass?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
There were some test cars (GNs) in Tennessee, belonged the DOE, I think. They were set up with methanol, and they were sold off several years ago. Check the guys in Tenn., some of them should remember.

·
Registered
683 Posts
ATR, (while they were located in CA) built a car to run on this stuff! It eats injector O-Rings, rubber hoses in the fuel system, fuel mileage is about half that of regular gas. My advice is to tune around the inspections or move to Minnesota w/o emission tests. (get rid of that Gov. and the liberals that have messed up the economy) Gene

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I didn't expect so many replies in such a short amount of time.THANX! Neways, Steve, it won't pass 'cuz it's a 4cyl toyota with a GN motor. Cali. frowns upon these types of swaps, especially since there is no room for a cat/conv.
It is however possible to license a vehicle as smog exempt i.e.- no more tests indefinitely, if you use an alternative fuel such as propane, diesel, methanol, etc.... I did my homework on Don Wang's car and I think I might be able to swing it with the components I currently have. My goal is to run it on Methanol for the tests, get it passed, drive home and put the c-16 back in! poon

-scott wile

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I wondered if it was the swap. Ca ain't very friendly to hot rodders. You may have to pull that thing out and put it in something old like a '33 Willys! Knowing CA tho, there probably is no time limit.

Just remember that it takes almost twice the methanol so you need big injectors, or not give it wot when doing it.

To heck with job and family, just move! LOL

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Hey, the guy looked at my car and said, I think your test pipe might be leaking a bit...you might wanta look at that! Beats the heck out of paying for a sticker. uzi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts