Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone clear up some questions on the use of methanol for me?
1)Can you use it in a smc alchy system straight or mixed with water?
2)Can you use it mixed in the regular fuel tank mixed with gas like xyelene (sp)? I have some that was given to me that used to run it in his dragster straight but I keep hearing conflicting stories. on the subject. By the way on the vibration problem with my torque converter I postes about before, a new one going in this week end. Plase help on the methanol question.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
The SMC kit is not rated for methanol in its normal form. Someone posted that Steve C is making him one with a meth rated pump.

Adding some meth to the tank in enuf quantity to raise the octane a bit will ultimately destroy the pump and won't do your fuel system any good downstream. It does not work very well as an octane enhancer, anyway, as it is only around 100-101 octane.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve- So you are saying that it would damage the walbro I have in the gas tank now if I mixed it with my 93 octane?
Steve- While I'm posting, I have a question on another subject. I have been having a problem getting kr down and we have discussed earlier, I just installed a Ramcharger street chip that is designed for alchy. I set the fuel psi for 42 as directed by ramchargers. I had more knock than the RA race chip I just took out!! The race chip was running on 39psi!! The new Ramcharger chip the engine light came on the first day I drove the car to work, code 45, this is the first time I got a code. OK, I know 45 is for a rich condition.But the car was showing kr at very low boost and sometimes even before boost!! Car was strong though. Sooooo, I increased fuel pressure to 44psi, helped kr verrry much. I drove the car to work again to day and got the 45 again, this time I noticed that the o2 counts on the scan master were locked at aronnd 840'ish ( no movement) I flipped the SM to the cc mode and it was locked at 202. the light stayed on while I was doing all this. I had af of 30 int of 128 locked in place, bl of 105 or 109. I was driving with slow traffic at about 30 mph. all other readings appeared normal. Ok lite goes out and readings that were locked started wandering around as usual. I suspect the o2 sensor but it isn't very old and I'm pretty sure it is a GM for a GN. Do you think this is the problem? What else could cause these symtoms? Hey Guys! I'm not trying to limit my posts to only Steve!! I value everyones input. Like I said before, I have been moitoring this and the other board for over a year and have learned more than would have been possible any other way. Soooo, speak up. Thanks in advance.

------------------
87 GN KB Ram Air & exhaust,Gauges,SM2,Adjustable Regulator RA93chip 009 injectors SMC Alcy. standard add on gauges. the rest is stock.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
At mixtures of less than 10% per volume, it might not hurt the pump but it will basically do nothing but absorb the water in the fuel due to its inherent low octane. I would not risk it...ethanol would be safer but would not do any more, or less, good. Denatured is basically ethanol.

I am not sure as to the ramchargers chip. It would appear that the o2 is about dead as it is not cross counting much. It should be pretty active as long as you are not in PE mode or wot.

I am not sure what constitutes an alky chip these days. I use the MEs and I really am not up to date with regular chips.

Some guys may take some fuel out to account for the alky...but that is a pretty big guess on the chip makers part. That might make it lean if they guess wrong. In your case, I just don't know. I am assuming Bob Bailey still makes their chips but maybe not.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Steve, Thee reason I was asking about the meth. was that a friend gave me a drum about two thirds full. I just hated to have to give it back. The other problem, it just seems funny the o2 would go this quick! It started working again but very likely will sh*& the bed. I will just plan on changing it. I will call ramchargers about the chip. Thanks again for your help. I guess I need to find a local tuner to help me get the process straight. I have all this data in my head and it will I think take a little OJT to help get it to fall into place.

------------------
87 GN KB Ram Air & exhaust,Gauges,SM2,Adjustable Regulator RA93chip 009 injectors SMC Alcy. standard add on gauges. the rest is stock.

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Nothing in your present system is Methenol safe (hoses, regulator, pump etc.)!! Ethenol, yes. Meth NO.

------------------
TurboDave & Kathy Huinker, mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
TurboD Racing
Lone Rock, WI
86 GN[email protected](MM/MAF Xlator/Extender,MM BstC Boost Command,THDP,PTE44,CAS V2FM,MSD50's,9.5"vigilante 3500)
87 GN [email protected](Stock)
84 Z28 L69
01 Excursion LTD TTS"race" chip 7.3L PSD(power stroke diesel) Turbo 4X2
My photo albums

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
TRUST ME ON THIS!

i'm extremly fimilar with meth. if the car is not set up for it dont do it.. meth makes water when it heats up. when meth sits it makes sleage and is a real pain to get clean. and you need alot of heat to make it work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your replies! No question now!!!

------------------

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Sleage?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts