Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using rubbing alcohol and still get knock at 20 psi.Where i work they have methanol in the railcar and i have to unload it .Will it work with the smc or is it hard on the pump thanks

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I have the externally mounted pump and use methanol. You should check with Steve and ask him what he suggests based on which of his systems you have.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Methanol works fine, even in the older pumps. As long as you mix in a synthetic top alcohol lube from Redline,Klotz or equivalent.

·
Registered
503 Posts
smokin said:
I have been using rubbing alcohol and still get knock at 20 psi.Where i work they have methanol in the railcar and i have to unload it .Will it work with the smc or is it hard on the pump thanks
Have you tried denatured alcohol?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Methanol is cheaper for me than denatured.

·
Growing my Mullet!
2,646 Posts
I have the square bottle - and have ran methonal for 2 years now without any issues. I don't even use lube - as the racing methonal I buy already has lube added.

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
smokin said:

I spoke with Steve in BG this spring and he said that I could run Methanol in his kit as long as I used some Klotz lube as suggested by Frost. I have only ran denatured up to this point but I think that I will try some methanol this year. :cheers:

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have the round bottle kit and thougt by the instructions that I should only use denatured. At about $13 a gallon thats not too cheap. Time to try some meth :headbang:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
don't use methanol with a lube on the external pumps...only with the internal submerged style of pump

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds good i think im going to try some methanol when i get back to work.Has anyone else tried a different lube than the klotz how about wd 40 or !!!!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
smokin said:
Sounds good i think im going to try some methanol when i get back to work.Has anyone else tried a different lube than the klotz how about wd 40 or !!!!!
I've only had my smc for a few weeks and I have been spraying wd-40 in the tank as a lube per the instruction. I think as long as you use straight meth with no water it should work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts