Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When bearings (cam, rod, main) fail what type of metal is found in the oil? A friends (who shall remain nameless
) motor failed recently, in the filter we found fine grains of metal, in the pan we found 1/4" sized slivers of metal. Now we know that the rod bearings had failed, they were down to the copper and crushed so that they squeezed out the sides of the rod cap. There was also an alignment problem with the cam sensor and cam gear, is this where the fine powdered metal came from? All the other bearings looked ok, not perfect, but none spun. The cam is a billet roller, so the metal didn't come from that.

Mike

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
aluminum and copper from bearings-non magnetic

any magnetic (iron or steel) would come from cam, lifters, oil pump gears, cam gear, etc.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In his case the metal wasn't magnetic, we were thinking that since the cam sensor wasn't aligned with the brass cam gear, that's where the powdered metal came from.

Now I am concerned, since I found a similar metal in my filter. I need to check and see if it is magnetic. My cam sensor is making a knocking sound that speeds up with rpm. I am gonna shim the cam sensor as per gnttype.org, but I am thinking that the cam sensor gear has been riding up and down the stock cast cam gear and the result is the powdered metal in the filter. Any other ideas?

Mike

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
It is brass colored?

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotta check it when I get home, I remember it being brass colored but...that could be tinted by the oil.

Mike

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I wiped the bottom of my drain pan to collect some of the debris on a towel. I looked at the towel under a microscope and the only metal I saw was aluminum specs. I suspect the aluminum is residual from my oil pump cover scoring. The other brass color stuff was sand! Now some of it could have been in the drain pan to begin with, but I definately remember seeing some come out of the filter (the brass colored particles). The only thing I have changed is the location of my air filter. It is a 9" K&N in a Big Mouth style intake setup. Gotta think about that one some more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When my #6 rod bearing died,I found alot of fine,fine,fiine particles in pan and filter. Also found shinny bits of the bearing in the pan. When I took my bearing out I could hold the small fragment of bearing next to the bearing and visually see where it came from. Had small pieces of the bearing on the oil pick up screen too. Magnetic drain plug was full of the fine mush,which was also all along the pan bottom. Believe that is the crank material. Engine toast!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts