Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering the aluminum specs I've seen in my oil...before seeing the specs I had a TA49 go bad. The thrust bearings failed and the shaft went to instant 1/4" in/out clearance. The compressor wheel chewed up the compressor housing bad. Turbo builder said it was due to "oil contamination" I called and talked to John Craig, and since there was no up/down movement, he concluded that "oil contamination" wouldn't have affected the thrust, failure due to improper thrust setup (plus they had used the old slotted thrust retainers).

Now, I am wondering where all the aluminum from the housing went to. It had to go through the intake tract. Could this be the source of the aluminum in my oil?

Mike

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
don't see how metal from the intake passage could end up in the oil.

·
Surely you jest
453 Posts
Have you ever had the heads off or expose the lifter valleys? Are you sure it's aluminum or could be freshly minced iron? How about your IC? Have you ever ported it or had a Dut.neck put on?

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, its not magnetic. I looked at it under a disecting microscope and its very soft and shiney when scratched. Heads/intake never been off. There was some scoring on the oil pump housing cover, and some on the front cover where the cam button rides.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts