Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to put mechanical gauges in the GN, & I'd like to know what sort of tubing you guys use for the oil pressure gauge? I'm assuming plastic isn't gonna do it.
The gauge will be under the radio, so the metal? tubing would need to be bent a few times in order to route it.
TIV

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I used the high temp. plastic line in the car out to near the heater control area. Then since the high temp stuff got hot and cracked near the turbo where I have the final fitting, I went to copper pipe 1/8" at a junction inline splice. This is at the heater valve and then copper line to the turbo where the final fitting is.

Been on the car 6 years now no problems. Route the copper and hold it still with wire ties as it can stress and crack also with movement.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks salvage. I should have the gauges in a few days or so. If I need any additional assistance, I'll be sure & let you know.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I always use the plastic line that comes with the gauges. I make sure that it does not come into contact with sheet metal on the way thru the firewall.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While ordering my convertor this afternoon, I was advised by Bruce to use the electric trans. temp. gauge, instead of a mech. one. So I called Summit & changed that one.

Steve, I just didn't think using plastic was all that safe, with oil especially. I guess I'll just see what the tubing looks like (from Summit), & make a decision. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
That plastic line is tough, trust me.

On our racecars it goes from the back of the block over the headers to the firewall and has lasted more than 7 years on my car. Oil pressures upwards of 80psi with 8000rpm vibration and headers roasting them.... I think they'll stand up.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Autometer and most others use it. Stands vibration much better than does copper and is not susceptible to being crushed or pinched.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Good luck with the plastic.

If you are mounting the fitting near the stock idiot light it may work fine since it will normally be untouched down there.

Everytime I looked at the end of the plastic line it snapped right at the fitting. That grew old quickly.

Maybe it wasn't the heat, maybe winter cold did it.

My tube was autometer at first too, then Sun high temp. kit, finally copper and plastic away from the heat.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Cold might do it...?

I kinda doubt gauge makers would provide it for 40 years if every one of them north of hte mason-dixon line snapped off when it got cold, tho'.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Only when you touch them. Mine is at the turbo much hotter overall I would think than down under the motor area.

Lotsa plastic pieces break on cars after a few hot and cold seasonal cycles. All the oil line is, is plastic.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Then don't put it at the turbo...that is simple.

And plastic is not simply plastic. There are a multitude of plastics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts