Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of it? Should I go with the 3" inlet and outlet? Any word on the revised scoop that doesn't require cutting the air dam? I plan on using it with a TA-49 and 50's with the stock converter.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I am sure it's a nice unit and it will be an upgrade kick in the pants compared to the stock one. Too bad DeQuick went Defunct because when I compared the results of my personal V4 testing it out performed the Mease numbers found in this months GMHiTech mag....

The Mease IC looks like a nicely made IC for sure. A TA-49, 50's and upgraded IC will really wake things up! thumb_up

·
Whats that thing ?
2,650 Posts
Orlando - I have the CAS V4 24 row stock location unit as well. Last week at the track, I broke the aluminum bracket at WOT (Cracked) where it mounts to the unit (not the block). Have you had this problem with this unit ?? Having it welded today, but shop said the design is such, that it may break again.
I wondered if you you had this problem, heard of this problem, did anything about it (new bracket ?),,
Thanks,

Joe

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Joe,

Not sure I understand how it broke, doesn't the V4 mount directly to the frontcover/block? If so it should "torque" over with the engine at WOT. Do you have the front frame braces? If so, maybe that is what the IC is getting caught on.

Mike

·
Registered
271 Posts
Orlando_87GN:
I am sure it's a nice unit and it will be an upgrade kick in the pants compared to the stock one. Too bad DeQuick went Defunct because when I compared the results of my personal V4 testing it out performed the Mease numbers found in this months GMHiTech mag.... thumb_up
Tony still has the CAS web site up and is still selling Buick IC's according to the web site, Orlando, why do you say he is now defunct? I know his promptness can be questioned, but I thought he was still selling his stuff. Just curious?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Thread on the big ic on tb.com by Micale at the moment. Claims he gained two lbs of boost, two tenths, and two mile per hour over a front mount V2. Not under apple to apple conditions, tho.

I found it a bit strange that the Bob Dick article in the Source which compared ics tested a Cotton, PTE, and V2 front mount with regard to pressure drop, temperature extraction, etc. and found the V2 to be slightly more restrictive with regard to the Cotton and PTE units.....Now if the mpe stock location gained two pounds of boost when installed over a V2, then that would imply it outflows the Cotton and PTE front mounts. As Mease claims to make Cotton's front mount, then it would seem that something is amiss to me. I don't believe there is much truth in advertising.

Mease has posted that Cotton, Micale, and others are his biggest vendors so you can buy one in safety.

It was posted that this particular unit is in the front mount price range and is intended for 8-9 sec cars and that guys looking to go tens or slower should buy one of the smaller, cheaper units.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
quick231:
Orlando_87GN:
I am sure it's a nice unit and it will be an upgrade kick in the pants compared to the stock one. Too bad DeQuick went Defunct because when I compared the results of my personal V4 testing it out performed the Mease numbers found in this months GMHiTech mag.... thumb_up
Tony still has the CAS web site up and is still selling Buick IC's according to the web site, Orlando, why do you say he is now defunct? I know his promptness can be questioned, but I thought he was still selling his stuff. Just curious?
Tony moved all his intrests into larger markets like Covette products. Unless he get a large order he won't set up prduction for V2 or V4 intercoolers. I think he still has radiators in stock. I have his V2 and it's the best thing since sliced bread :cool:

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
I don't think anyone has it in stock. I know when I talked to Jack he didn't have any. As easy as it is to do I don't understand when Nick tested the IC's he didn't go back and run the Mease unit with same boost as the V-2 dunno The other thing is "The Source" used inlet and outlet thermocouples to get heat-loss numbers. A nice cheap two probe meter will give you the info on that. Since I need an intercooler I bought the GMHTP magazine and have been watching. How much difference do you think it would make good/bad over a Cotton FM? The air-dam thing I wanted to avoid.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Orlando - I have the CAS V4 24 row stock location unit as well. Last week at the track, I broke the aluminum bracket at WOT (Cracked) where it mounts to the unit (not the block). Have you had this problem with this unit ?? Having it welded today, but shop said the design is such, that it may break again.
I wondered if you you had this problem, heard of this problem, did anything about it (new bracket ?),,
Thanks,
I have never seen this. If you can post a picture of where the crack occured I am sure we could figure it ou. BTW - My V4 was the older 19row core, not the 24row.

·
Whats that thing ?
2,650 Posts
It cracked right behind the bolt holes that mount to the Intercooler itself (2 holes). Straight up and down. Clean crack. The shop just called to let me know they were going to fabricate something that would not break going forward. We shall see...Mine is the 24 row...

As for Tony (CAS), I called and left a message and wrote him an email describing my situation, asking if he had any of these brackets, to save me from the weld shop. This was 2 attempts over two weeks ago (both verbally and in writing). If he is still in business, he still has the same follow up skills with his customers. Web site or not...

·
Registered
271 Posts
ULYCYC[/qb]
Tony moved all his intrests into larger markets like Covette products. Unless he get a large order he won't set up prduction for V2 or V4 intercoolers. I think he still has radiators in stock. I have his V2 and it's the best thing since sliced bread :cool: [/QB][/QUOTE]

Thanks Ed, answers my question.

·
Whats that thing ?
2,650 Posts
VIN7 - No front brackets on my unit, I have it connected as designed. The only thought I had was perhaps my motor tie down strap has loosened up and the engine was moving around more than usual. I had some 9-10 pound launches the day at Atco (trying to improve my 60 foot). It broke at the track, as I saw an unusual amount of knock on the scan master on my last few runs. I was running 112octane with 25 pounds of boost at WOT.. Thank God the 9 degrees of knock I was picking up, turned out to be the IC ratteling around the engine compartment. Luckily the two hose connections and small shroud around the front sway bar kept me from dropping it in the middle of the track.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
jdodman:
Thanks,

Joe
Joe, if you have a newer CAS V4 it would be a 21 row stock location stretch IC or you might have a V4R which is the 27 row.... My dad has the V4R 27 row IC from CAS (Tony DeQuick) on his car and he is thinking about selling it and getting the new MPE 24 row IC after reading the article in GMHTP, but I told him I doubt he would see much if any real world gains over the V4R (guess you don't know until you put it on and take it to the track)! I'm in the market for a new IC for my car so the MPE 24 row will most likely be my pick :) powersix

<small>[ October 31, 2003, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: 86brick ]</small>

·
Whats that thing ?
2,650 Posts
I am generally pleased with the CAS stock location IC. Until I broke the bracket (how I do not know), there was nothing to dislike. I am only running in the in the high 11's so I wrestle with the need to go out and get another IC, before a few other goodies I have in mind (like upgrade the TE44 to ??). If I were to get one (IC), it would be a front mount from Cottons. Which, after reading all this, sounds like a Mease in disguise.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Actually, Tony is still making the V4, I bought one not to long ago and a buddy of mine just got his a few months ago. We both purchased them from Conleys. When I first got the intercooler I didn't get the mounting kit, phoned Janace and got them a week later. thumb_up If you want one of Tony's intercooler and are willing to wait, order from a dealer but prepare to wait.

If you look at the core of the V4 compared to the Mease, I would say the V4 has a more efficient core. This is just a visual analysis and real life testing may give us a better result.

jdodman... I know Conley's has made brackets for the CAS, so if it is similar to the VR4 give them a shout and I'm sure they'd be glad to take care of you.

·
Registered
140 Posts
just to clarify things a bit...Nick's car is set up as a legal SS/KA NHRA car at present, so his turbo is limited to a "stocker"...thus the low boost

he did see improvement over the V2 he had and this was in rather tough conditions...like 90* air

there will be more forthcoming

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
The last I checked the thread,the question of whether Nick used the two piece up pipe for the V-2[that's what I was getting at-2.5" W a joint in the middle].
That Mease IC looks good but to use it to it's full potential,you must drop the scoop mouth for full airflow.
Is it as good as a Cotton's F/M I/C/
Can't see that.
Maybe we'll see in some testing one day[especially at high boost/high power levels]. dunno

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Just to clear things up here..... Jack's FM is Jack's FM! A Mease piece it is not. I have another new one coming to me so I had to ask when I talked with him today on the phone what the scoop was. His FM had some changes made to it since the first one I just took out due to the accident, one being studs for the upper mounting bosses to make it easier to slide into place. The inlet and outlet has also been changed but I can't remember what he said had been done there other than it is better or beefier or longer. dunno :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts