Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard some good things about the Max Effort chips and was wondering if they are really worth it. Do they aid it tuning? I like the idea of being able to turn a dial when going from pump gas to race gas. This car is daily drivin and is a 12.20 @ 111. Will this chip help me out? Thanks

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Do they aid it tuning?
There are numerous tuning parameters that can be adjusted like:

Idle Fuel
WOT Fuel
MAF Lock
Retard Disable vs. MPH

All of these can be adjusted from the drivers seat, and of course, these are just a few of the adjustable parameters.

I am sure if you do a search on this board for "MaxEffort" you will find several threads that make it very clear as to which is a better way to go.

I like the idea of being able to turn a dial when going from pump gas to race gas.
This is only the tip of the iceberg with this chip. Yes, you can go from mild to wild, but the main advantage is getting the parameters tuned to your car specifically, in which time the car will basically run it's best, over and over again.

There are plenty of us here that swear by this chip, so if you have anymore questions, just ask..

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Current Combo: Stock Turbo, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip.
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
The best chip and the best support! Been using them for years. On the street, they might be better than a Speedpro and there are cars down into the nines on them.
http://www.servtech.com/~racerx/maxeffort/

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

86 GN bought new, TE45/ported heads/CAS front mount/MSD50's/TH dp/210 PTE Roller Cam/9-1 c.r./65mmTB-Hemco plenum/2 3/4" exhaust/Eibach springs/GNX style wheels/MAXEFFORT 16 pos chip with gas out feature/venturiless maf

87 T-type-Stock short block/ported heads/red stripes/TE44/2.5" Hooker exhaust/MAXEFFORT 16 position chip with gas out

81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can you give me some pros/cons between the 16 position and using a translator plus unit. I will need to buy a chip for the 50lbs. inj. i will be getting. I currently have a stock chip, but will be getting a larger turbo, inj. good exhast system....
Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
Can anyone give me an idea of how well the Maxeffort works with 72 or 83lbs injectors?Just curious,still trying to figure out what to do for this summer.

Steve

·
Registered
185 Posts
Have to give another thumbs up to this chip (or should I say chips). "Excellent" support before and after the sale. Steve Yaklin does not mind any questions and "always" gets back to you. I am very happy with my 16 Position Thumwheel Chip! Steve in Brooklyn- talk with Steve Yaklin, he runs the 83# Injectors (I believe) in his car and it runs real well with his chip!
Regards,

------------------
Jeff Scher
89 TTA Best of Both Worlds :)
87 GN Http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1780/

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks Jeff,I'll have to speak to him soon then,summer will be here before you know it,and thank God for that

Steve

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
The chip works well with 83# injectors (and 72#) Idles a bit faster due to compensate for the sluggish behaviour of big injectors at minimum pulse widths.

Jeff Harrington has run 9.85 on 83# injectors and gotten over 20 mpg to and from the track.

The MaxEffort will work with either the Translator or the T+. I, personally, would buy the Translator and the 3.5" maf rather than going for the one with timing adjustments-not sure I see the benefit.

I just ordered a Translator and maf to try on my GN under the group purchase that Mike L currently has underway.

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

86 GN bought new, TE45/ported heads/CAS front mount/MSD50's/TH dp/210 PTE Roller Cam/9-1 c.r./65mmTB-Hemco plenum/2 3/4" exhaust/Eibach springs/GNX style wheels/MAXEFFORT 16 pos chip with gas out feature/venturiless maf

87 T-type-Stock short block/ported heads/red stripes/TE44/2.5" Hooker exhaust/MAXEFFORT 16 position chip with gas out

81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
204 Posts
Originally posted by Steve Wood:...
The MaxEffort will work with either the Translator or the T+..........
I just ordered a Translator and maf to try on my.[/B]
Just received a Max E set up to run w/55's and a Translator Plus w/3.5". Will see how this works. All the other Max E's we have installed have equaled or bettered the exsisting chips right out of the box. When we learn how to tune with these, will be going faster with less hassel for sure.

Usually when someone posts a topic like this, lots of negative pops up, seen none here! That says a lot about a great product and support second to none. Thanks to Steve Y. for all!!! He has sure simplified our life at the race track for the faster cars.

------------------
Nick Micale
3334 W. Marconi Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85053
602-866-9908

·
Registered
22 Posts
I didn't know this system would work with the Translator plus.

Please correct me if I'm off base... but to change parameters of this chip you must have an operating air conditioning system and stock shifter detent in place?

In my case I converted to a switch pitch turbo 400 trans and of course no air conditioning is hooked up. So... is there another means of adjusting parameters available for us modified folks?

Louie

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Most likely all you would have to do is track down the wiring to the ecm for those functions and install a switch and maybe a resistor and switch power to them or ground however they originally switched. Can't be too hard to do might actually be easier with a nice momenatary switch.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Originally posted by HotAirTurboRegalWebsite:
[B.....no air conditioning is hooked up. So... is there another means of adjusting parameters available for us modified folks?
Louie[/B]
Steve says to find the A/C pressure plug, and jumper it.

------------------
Nick Micale
3334 W. Marconi Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85053
602-866-9908

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Louie -

For the folks that have no A/C system at all, there is an easy solution.. The ECM needs to see an A/C request, in order to adjust the various MaxEffort values.

A/C Request *ON* subtracts from the values.
A/C Request *OFF* adds to the values.

Apply 12v source to Pin B8 (Blue Wire) which is located on the smaller of the (2) ECM plugs. This information was gathered from a phone conversation with John Spina of Caspers Electronics So, that means just hook up a switch that will give 12v to that pin on the ECM. Label the (2) way switch "Up" and "Down" and you can now add and subtract the MaxEffort variables with ease.

As for the P/N switch..

If you don't have one, I think the chip programming will still work. When you pull the shifter into "D" with Key-On, Engine-OFF, you enter "Programming Mode" for the MaxEffort. If you do not have a P/N switch, I *think* the ECM will assume you are in "D" because it has no switch (P/N) to tell it otherwise..

The only drawback that I could see here, is if you were Key-ON, Engine-OFF, and you were inadvertently stepping on the gas pedal, you would be modifying values of the chip.. because you would always be in "Programming Mode" with no P/N switch..

Maybe Steve can chime in here, since most of my ramblings are theory.

------------------

Current Combo: Stock Turbo, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip.

[This message has been edited by Orlando_87GN (edited January 19, 2001).]

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
A6 is probably 12v...

------------------

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Just thought I would give an update for anyone interested. A6 to B8 works as recommended. I tested it with my DS. I ran it through a switch with a light so I would know if I inadvertently left it "on".

------------------

Scottie's GNZ

1 - 20 of 25 Posts