Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - going to St Thomas this Sat and running the GN for the first time down the 1320. My motor builder suggested this race fuel. Says it won't foul up my OEM o2 sensor 'cause it's unleaded. I've heard from other people that it still will. In any event, I was wondering if anyone has used this fuel in their GN and what their experience has been. Thanks for reading and taking the time to help out a brother in need :)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Has your car been tuned before with a wide band? If it hasn't I wouldn't suggest you put in race gas and turn up the wick and hope for the best. Tune your car with the fuel you intend to run, at the boost level you intend to run it at. This could be a very costly venture if you skip steps.

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
I've had two 02 sensors crap out on me. Whether it was caused by race gas or not I don't know. I carry extra 02 sensors and a wrench with me at all times...just in case. I'd take a spare...ya' never know. Hope the weather is nice for ya'...have fun!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome - thanks! Yes, very good idea to have back up o2's at the track - just in case ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has your car been tuned before with a wide band? If it hasn't I wouldn't suggest you put in race gas and turn up the wick and hope for the best. Tune your car with the fuel you intend to run, at the boost level you intend to run it at. This could be a very costly venture if you skip steps.
Good point. The car has never been tuned with a wideband - only what the Scanmaster readings say. At WOT at 17lbs on pump gas I nail 750-755 on the SM everytime with less than 1 degree of knock even at the top of 3rd.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Good point. The car has never been tuned with a wideband - only what the Scanmaster readings say. At WOT at 17lbs on pump gas I nail 750-755 on the SM everytime with less than 1 degree of knock even at the top of 3rd.
Add some fuel, turn down the boost, or take out some timing and tune for 0.0 knock at all times. O2's should be a little higher to be on the safe side. 780ish is usually safe.

Why not try going out to the track on pump gas and see how fast it goes and get a hang of tuning first? Get a wideband 02 and powerlogger before you do any damage. :cheers:

·
Registered
783 Posts
I've also tried the Mark 5 from Pro Race Fuel in my Vortech YSi blown stroker Mustang and it worked fine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE - Put in about 5 passes at St. Thomas this past Sat. Hot and humid conditions, if you all recall. 38 degrees with the humidex. The best et was 14.00 @ 100.48 mph with an absolutely terrible 2.33 60ft. The car is very slow to boost off the launch. I've been reading that this is common on a TA49 on 16-17 psi. I was expecting at least a higher trap speed. I'm ready to give up on the GN, especially reading about 12 and 11 second cars with the same upgrades as me. Is there anyone in GTA who can help me tune this car properly? I am willing to pay for someone's experience and expertise but I need results. If I'm able to get this car in the low 12s, I would certainly sell my blown G8.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Easy there grasshopper, that e.t. and mph is about right for those conditions and 16-17 psi with that 60. Take a deep breath, Rome wasn't built in a day :D
That's about 13.00-13.20 with a 1.9 60ft, so I'd go back on a better cooler, less humid day, and get the 60ft into the 1.80-1.90 range and the disappointment frown will be wiped of your face :sw:

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Not to sound like a total dick here... but... do you know how to drive your car?

Specifically how to launch it? If so, what was your procedure?

What tires do you have on the back?

All things considered the car is displaying "okay" performance for the modifications; and yes it could be quicker.

Or just buy mine... runs 11s AND holds a corner.

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
UPDATE - Put in about 5 passes at St. Thomas this past Sat. Hot and humid conditions, if you all recall. 38 degrees with the humidex. The best et was 14.00 @ 100.48 mph with an absolutely terrible 2.33 60ft. The car is very slow to boost off the launch. I've been reading that this is common on a TA49 on 16-17 psi. I was expecting at least a higher trap speed. I'm ready to give up on the GN, especially reading about 12 and 11 second cars with the same upgrades as me. Is there anyone in GTA who can help me tune this car properly? I am willing to pay for someone's experience and expertise but I need results. If I'm able to get this car in the low 12s, I would certainly sell my blown G8.
I was at SMP Friday nite in the same conditions and blazed the DR's the length of the grandstand to a less than inspiring 2.41 short time. Still cranked out a 119 mph pass tho. You're not gonna get any traction in that heat and humidity. I only went cuz my buddy with his turbo alky injected Hayabusa wanted me to tune it. These cars don't like heat...period. Get yourself Powerlogger. You'll need a minimum of a D5 convertor to spool that turbo...and make sure it's a Garret .63 exhaust housing. Anything larger...and it'll never spool. Make a run on the default setting with Erics chip on PL. This is what you should find. Your low gear fueling should be pig rich. I've seen 02's in the 850's. Turbos like heat to spool...so how do we do that. Lean low gear fuel out...and you can also add timing...but stay away from the timing unless you honestly know what you're doing. Get the low gear 02's below 800...and watch what happens. If you have Erics 5.7 alky chip...he has what's called aggressive mode for low gear timing. All you have to do is move the default setting of 128 to 129 for low gear timing. Presto...instant low gear timing...no delay. That turbo at 25 PSI is a whole different animal. If you have a LU convertor...lock it when you get into 3rd gear...and if it won't rev much past 4800 in 3rd gear at WOT...then your valve springs have probably gone south. Wait for a cooler day...and try again. Don't get discouraged.

·
Registered
783 Posts
What octane fuel did you use? My car is pig rich on the default settings on my street chip (Blowing black smoke down the track). I had to do a few adjustments to my tune to get it going low 12's. Did you make any adjustments to your chip settings? Did you footbrake any boost on the launch? Sounds like you just need some proper tuning.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I won't even drive mine in that heat much less beat on it. If your looking for a number, be prepared. Tune it, have proper tires, plugs, proper fuel, run some boost (at least 22 to 24psi), and run it when the temps are down and it's not so humid outside. Get a proper chip first (turbotweak), then put it on the dyno and see what it is doing. Send your info back to Eric if its not spot on and get him to make some adjustments and try it again. Then when it's all good, you race it. If you skip steps and look for results, don't be shocked or pissed if you don't get the numbers your looking for. It takes time and patience.

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
Going back reading your first post...you ran C16...with only 17 PSI of boost. C16 takes plenty of timing and boost to get it to ignite. I'm guessing you used a 93 street chip...which has nowhere near enuf timing for C16.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Going back reading your first post...you ran C16...with only 17 PSI of boost. C16 takes plenty of timing and boost to get it to ignite. I'm guessing you used a 93 street chip...which has nowhere near enuf timing for C16.
No, I opted to not to use race fuel that day - only Ultra 94 pump gas. All passes were brake torque - max 2lbs of boost before street tires would lose traction at the tree. After the 2nd pass, I raised fuel psi and lowered boost. SM showed 810-820 mv and absolutley zero KR at the top of 3. I thank everyone for all their comments and tips. My problem is I don't have enough experience with TRs - to troubeshoot and tune. It's been a learning process so far, and this is the first full year with the re-built motor. I'm going to SMP again this Sat and hoping for cooler temps - at least less humidity anyway. I am also hoping to put the DRs on this time to see if that will help my 60ft times. However, very refreshing to read that the car's performance is at about expectations for the mods I'm running.

Cheers! :cheers:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not to sound like a total dick here... but... do you know how to drive your car?

Specifically how to launch it? If so, what was your procedure?

What tires do you have on the back?

All things considered the car is displaying "okay" performance for the modifications; and yes it could be quicker.

Or just buy mine... runs 11s AND holds a corner.
Actually, you're not being a dick. And the answer is no...I don't know how to drive this car - YET, but I'm learning. It took me 2 years to learn how to launch my Supercharged Cobalt and get it running a 13.7 with minor bolt ons. I've been spoiled with my G8, which is an absolutely cinch to launch - street tire or DR.

You're offer to purchase your car is very tempting, but after pouring over $25k into the G8, I think I'm good for now :)

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
DR's will definitely help...along with cooler temps. Set your line off fuel pressure as per Erics instructions...and leave it alone. Adjust your fueling through his chip. If all you have is a SM...then the only adjustment you can make will be WOT fueling. If/when you get PL then you can log a run...and then make low gear fueling adjustments.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts