Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few of these that look pretty nice, Read: Overpriced for the import community. Are any of you guys using manual boost controllers? And what parts would be involved in making your own? I assume there's a potentiometer and a different style wastegate involved . . . Any pics of yours?

<small>[ March 28, 2003, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: Benny ]</small>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks steve. I googled the last one previously. The audi link is new to me. Off to read . . . thank gudniss fer book-lernin

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
The simplest is simply an aquarium valve..not very reliable. The air compressor regulator from Norgren is what Turbonetics, etc. sell.

Then Kenne-Bell sold a small aluminum block into which buttons could be screwed. The buttons had various sizes of holes drilled in them. These are fixed bleeders. Raise the boost by a fixed amount above whatever the chip commanded the wastegate solenoid. They either went into the hose just before the solenoid, or in the hose bwtween the "Y" and the turbo housing.

If you put the button in the block that had an .033" hole and installed it in the turbo housing hose, it raised the boost by a pound. If you installed it before the solenoid, it raised the boost by 4#.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I just installed a Norgren type regulator. I disconnected the hose from the solenoid and attached it to the regulator. Is this correct?
What tension should the wastegate rod have now?

TIA
ES

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
That should work fine. Set the rod to have about an 1/8" tension and use the valve to set the boost.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
ES:
I just installed a Norgren type regulator. I disconnected the hose from the solenoid and attached it to the regulator. Is this correct?
What tension should the wastegate rod have now?

TIA
ES
Where do you get 1 of these valves at?
How much are they?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts