Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hell im new to the board and need info on this product.Does it actually help spoolup thanks shawn.Where could i purchase one

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Welcome! As a new member, I assume you are a new owner as well? If you have the bucks, I reccomend a scan tool of some type to help you diagnose problems, and keep an eye on your strate of tune. At the very least get a knock detector, to help keep you out of trouble with that boost controller. I don't have the ramchargers unit, so I'll let somebody that does comment on it's features.

Good luck, and take it slow.. :)

http://www.ramchargers.come

<small>[ April 20, 2003, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Turbo_Tim ]</small>

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Welcome,

I received an email about 2 or 3 weeks ago from a guy up your way with a similar sounding car asking about intercoolers, was this you? If it was you I tried replying multiple times but the email kept getting bounced back to me as undeliverable. I thought the person's name was John, so if this isn't you just ignore this post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes paul that was me im now under shawns name as my pc was messed up along with my email.Should i go through the ecm and solenoid to tune or is the manual boost controler the way to go.

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
I run a Delta Gate on both of my cars and I love the gates. I would go tuner style with a turbo line hooked up to the wastegate if I were you but watch how much boost you are running. Most people by pass the wastegate selnoid. Make small increments when increasing boost.

Good luck,

·
Carb/Turbo
1,615 Posts
Back to the original question...A "manual boost controller" is a relief valve. It holds back all pressure until it hits a certain psi, and then relieves (cracks).

The stock style wastegate is like a door. It begins opening at one psi and is not fully open until several psi more. This can slow down spool up and also make it inconsistent. The closer to the turbo's max psi, the more problems. With a relief valve, the wastegate is either fully closed or fully open. They are probably more effective on a stock turbo/stock engine than a modifed one. Plus they are a little easier to adjust.

<small>[ April 21, 2003, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: b4black ]</small>

·
Carb/Turbo
1,615 Posts
BTW, these things are a peice of pie to make, but collecting the parts can be a hassle for just one or two. Check ebay and you find plenty of entrepenuers selling them for reasonable prices. Don't pay more than $20 for one.

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Rich is correct. About 7$ worth of parts and 10 minutes to make one of these.

Here is a link for the simplest version. It works well. Rather than hammering a barb into the open end, I solder a piece of copper tubing in it. That way, there is no worry about the barb popping out.

http://pages.cthome.net/gus/mike.html

Gus, the guy that developed all the neat boost tricks for the mopars was killed when a car hit him while riding his bike. It was cool to see a guy in a minivan running 12s and hammering mustangs and camaros.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts