Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know I just purchased an 87 Limited. I am going to pick it up this weekend and need to place an order to bring it in line here.

So far this is what I have.

From a Vendors:

Intercooler hoses
180 Thermostat for winter
Shift Kit
Trans-cooler
Adj Fuel Pressure Reg
Bleeder Valve
Solid Maf pipe
Scanmaster
Boost Gauge
Valve Springs
Thrasher 92 Chip

Local Auto Parts store:

Plugs
Wires
Fuel Filter
Oil Change
Trans Fluid and Filter
Switches for Fan and Lockup

Things it already has on it:

Cone Filter
TB lines blocked
Turbo Sucker blocked
Fuel pump hotwired
Voltbooster - Getting ripped off.

Things that need to be done:

Take the trash screen off the intercooler
Remove 1 Maf Screen
Spring Cleaning.. IC, TPS, IAC etc
Remove Cat and install Test Pipe

Hmm What else? I know im forgeting something...

dunno

·
Registered
633 Posts
Most of that seems unnecessary if you're just going to drive it in the winter Mike. I hope you're careful and it's not too far from work for you to drive. The first good snow and you'll be doing loopdie doops. Anything with the least bit of torque, posi and even snow tires will slide around on you...hell, my truck even did a few times. Drive safe.

Remove 1 screen from MAF? Isn't that old school and never proved for much gain?

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NOSjohnWE4:
Most of that seems unnecessary if you're just going to drive it in the winter Mike. I hope you're careful and it's not too far from work for you to drive. The first good snow and you'll be doing loopdie doops. Anything with the least bit of torque, posi and even snow tires will slide around on you...hell, my truck even did a few times. Drive safe.

Remove 1 screen from MAF? Isn't that old school and never proved for much gain?
Hey it doesnt Snow EVERYDAY around here, we have 3-4 good days a week! I want the car to run how its supposed to, not some 13 second sled!

I'm just copying what we did to my TTA when it was stock and that car went 11.7 with these mods... So 1 maf screen it is wink

Also I have driven nothing but RWD Posi cars in the winter, I am not worried at all. I have 4 blizzacks on order.

<small>[ November 14, 2003, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: TTA89 ]</small>

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
To drive a 21k LTD in winter makes me wonder why you dont buy a winter beater instead? They do use salt to melt the snow dont they? To each his own but winter means more accidents period.
Drive safe, wash out the salt regularly & dont try to rip off any 11 sec. passes or it may be the last one the car ever does!! Play safe!
Enjoy the new ride but no racing till Spring! nono

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
To drive a 21k LTD in winter makes me wonder why you dont buy a winter beater instead? They do use salt to melt the snow dont they? To each his own but winter means more accidents period.
Drive safe, wash out the salt regularly & dont try to rip off any 11 sec. passes or it may be the last one the car ever does!! Play safe!
Enjoy the new ride but no racing till Spring! nono

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
PT88, 4500 stall 8inch converter, GN1 heads, 224/224 roller cam, 200 shot Nawz, 3.73 gears, terry houston downpipe, rollmaster chain, 009's, and a Kenne Bell hot flash chip loser

hehe..

Cant take the heat huh.. moon

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 winter aint gonna kill it. Its a car, I'm gonna drive it and use it as it is supposed to be used. Not as a garage queen.

Razor,

Good idea but I was thinking of trying an alky kit first. I found this website www.alkycontrol.com and was thinking of trying one of his kits. Wonder if that guy knows anything? dunno dunno moon moon It says its for an 87 GN, I have a Limited so I don't know if it will work. loser

I sent Dan my list of crap along with a kit so expect a call next week. Build me a good one :)

"In Pump Gas we Trust" You Florida guys are wierd wink

<small>[ November 14, 2003, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: TTA89 ]</small>

·
Registered
207 Posts
ditch the solid maf pipe, get a flexible hose instead. they cause more problems then they are worth in my exp.

Dathan

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Well a good alky system will make up for the missing fuel pump in your list of mods poon

Funny will be when you smoke ol Joe M' with your stocker on pump gas...hehe

Yeah those solid MAF pipes are way over-rated ugh Aluminum dryer duct hose is the bomb

How bout a cam and a dutweiller neck headbang

And some headers..they work really good..

BTW.. perfect winter car :)

Cheers from down South

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The car already has a fuel pump, I thought I wrote that above.

I like the Maf pipes, no air leaks and they arent that expensive. Dryer hose etc looks cheap and cheezy..

Cam and neck? heh.. Now thats worthless, never catch me with those.

My plan is to beat Joe at his own game with stock parts. See if this boat will go 11s on stock crap. :)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Ya also forgot, replace rear end fluid + additive, replace brake fluid... theyre only 17 years old ya know..

How bout adding some more engine grounds..

Leave the innercooler screen alone..

Ohh yeah..ya forgot the tie down strap

See your slipping cheers

·
Registered
207 Posts
just to let you guys know i am not talking dryer tubing i am talking heavy duty fabric tubing. IE: a tomka style intake. i will snap pics of the set up in the morning.

Dathan

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Your TTA also weighed in 200lbs lighter, had a very slippery coefficient drag, 3.23 gears and a better IC! Good luck with the Buick! It CAN be done but it's not as easy :)

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
Watch yourself on those solid MAF pipes . I have them on all my cars here (4 of them with all well over 100k) an did have a MAF fail back a few years ago :rolleyes:

I would also do a cam , GN 1 alum heads, Champion intake, front mount, an like someone else pointed out an 88 turbo. You should def see high 12's outta that !!! cheers

Put 4 Blizzacks an have fun... If I can drive Melissa's WE-4 with a stage 2 threw the snow it you should be ok with yours !!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Grim Reaper:
ditch the solid maf pipe, get a flexible hose instead. they cause more problems then they are worth in my exp.

Dathan
Never had a solid maf pipe cause any problems. What problems have they caused you?

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Grumpy:

I would also do a cam , GN 1 alum heads, Champion intake, front mount, an like someone else pointed out an 88 turbo. You should def see high 12's outta that !!! cheers

Im stoppin over tomorrow after the gym to show you the car lol.. Glad to see your still surfin a little wink

Hey nice Sig headbang Love the last line thumb_up

Hey you have any 16 inch wheels? I have he blizzacks from the LS1 but need 4 GTA wheels.

<small>[ November 15, 2003, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: TTA89 ]</small>

·
Registered
207 Posts
DonnieShort:
]
Never had a solid maf pipe cause any problems. What problems have they caused you? </strong>[/QUOTE]

it false knock. it did not make my maf go bad or any of the common wives tales. at part throttle on city streets i was getting a lot of knock due to it resting on the front acc. bracket. took it off for a tomka style intake and did not have that issue any more.

and when i say flexible hose i mean a very heavy duty fabric with rubber lining. not some cheesy dryer ducting.

Dathan

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I've used both.

The chrome ones look better weigh a ton and can cause false KR hitting stuff.

The fabric ones even the well made ones always look cheesy but are light and also work fine.

Both can be made to work fine if installed with care. :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
That makes sense. My maf pipe is out of the way of hitting anything, but I can see all the places under the hood that it could bang on stuff.

·
Registered
60 Posts
snow kicks ass and can make driving fun stop acting gay

1 - 20 of 20 Posts