Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I've been thinking about your feedback from my post a few weeks ago. I'm thinking about organizing a cruise to the Yuengling Brewery in Pottsville, PA. Its not a huge place but definitely interesting to check out, and gives us something different to do as a group.

From my area (about 30 min West of Philly) its about a 2 hour drive. Its in a small town and they regularly get groups in to take the tour. The tour (if I remember correctly) was free and they have a gift shop where you can buy just about anything Yuengling.

I was originally thinking of making this the June meet, but since Carlisle falls in that month, and I think we'll have a decent MAGNA showing for that, maybe we'll make that the June PA meet instead.

Anyhow - if you think this may be something you'd like to attend, respond here. If we get a decent response I'll get the ball rolling.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
This is what Im talkin about. Sounds like a great idea Jeff. Hopefully I can get the AC working on the WE4 this spring.

Stefan

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
Who's watching the cars while we tour? Don't want any to be missing when we return to the parking lot. Otherwise I'll drive the V. Worth more $ but less likely to be stolen!

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not to say its perfect or that something couldn't happen, but its a pretty quiet area. We could try to figure something out.

·
car crazy from birth
729 Posts
Sounds like a good idea! :thumb_up:
What kinda roads would we be drivin' on?

·
Premium Member
6,914 Posts
Who's watching the cars while we tour?
We can borrow my neighbors meanassed, bite anybody pit bull...he protects a black Monte to the death!!! Maybe we can chain him up to a black TR and he wont know the difference!!!

OR somebody can sit back and watch the cars!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
its 104 miles from my house, how much E85 would i need. :confused: probably too much.

·
Registered
829 Posts
its 104 miles from my house, how much E85 would i need. probably too much.
:violin:

·
Buick Turbo Performance
2,058 Posts
Who's watching the cars while we tour? Don't want any to be missing when we return to the parking lot. Otherwise I'll drive the V. Worth more $ but less likely to be stolen!
Bring your ECM with you on the tour

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like a good idea! :thumb_up:
What kinda roads would we be drivin' on?
Mainly highways...if I remember correctly from my area (which from Jersey would be the sure kill or the TPk), you'd take the Tpk/Northeast Extension to around (or just past) the Allentown exit, then head West.

If it comes down to it...I did the tour...I'll watch the cars if thats a concern.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I'll check whatever date you come up with.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
depending on the weekend i may be interested.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bumping this up - I did some recon yesterday and although there is no nearby parking lot, the street the brewery is on has very little traffic and plenty of parking. If watching the cars is a concern, I'd be glad to stay back if need be, unless I can find someone to tag along. I will also contact the brewery to see if there are other options yet.

The drive is about 2 hours from my area, maybe a little less. The roads are mostly highway with some hilly local roads once you get into town. There's a couple ways to get there but yesterday I tried Rt 422 and that works as well with no turnpike tolls.

I'm thinking we could congregate in the parking lot of the King of Prussia Mall (maybe on the Court side) so we have direct access to 422 or the Turnpike.

I am working on a place to eat afterwards - possibly the Port Clinton Hotel restaurant but I need to check on parking there. There is a diner right in town that seems to have decent parking so I'm going to check into that as an option as well.

The big question is WHEN?

My initial thought is to make this our PA meet in October, keeping the Red Robin as a backup plan (weather, etc). Its a very scenic route and by then the trees should be pretty cool and the turbos would eat the hills for lunch. That said, if anyone is interested in doing this sooner as a separate event, maybe we could set something up in Sept as August is a little booked for me, and I know a lot of people tend to take vacations, etc. The last tour on Saturdays is 1pm so if we can head out from King of Prussia by 9-10am, that gives us enough time to account for possible traffic and get there and park and all. The tour takes about an hour.

Cost - The tour is free. Taking 422 means there would be no turnpike tolls (I forget 222 might have a small toll). There is a gift shop and obviously lunch or any other meals besides gas should be your only expense. I'm trying to make this an economical and fun event so as many members can participate as possible. These cars love to be driven!

Last but not least - Knoebel's amusement park is about another hour from there (maybe less), and is a real family-owned admission-free park offering a bunch of family friendly rides including 2 awesome wooden roller coasters. If anyone is crazy enough to want to check it out after the tour, I'd be up for that as well. They're a very popular motorcycle destination so I'm sure I can work out some private parking for that as well (may not be available by Oct).

So...please let me know if you're interested, and whether you think we should offer this as a seperate event, or have it be our October PA meet.

·
Flyn Greek
2,133 Posts
Sounds good to me the doc should be done my car by then and I'll be back from Europe

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
I have always wanted to do the Yuengling tour. I'm in for a fall date after Cecil(Sept before Atco(Nov).

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In looking at the calendar...Sept is actually fairly packed with MAGNA events. You have the Maryland Meet on the 8th, the Cecil event on the 21st, and Kirbans on the 28th.

That leaves two Saturdays open - the 7th and the 14th. Would anyone be up for one of those two days, or is that too much for one month? Should I aim for the October PA meet day?

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
I vote October. To busy in September.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts