Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed Translator last night with the 3" LT1 maf and I was almost shocked at by how smooth it idles. Took me a few seconds to mount the box, set the dip switches and turn the knob to 3 and I was up and running again.

Boost comes on quicker
Sounds much better
No surging and dipping engine speeds
No false knock
18psi of boost so far and O2s are low 800s no KR
No smoking me out of the garage
BLMs are in spec

A whole lot more fun to drive Whooo Hooo!

I ordered the Translator from Full Throttle Wednesday night and it was at my door yesterday at 3pm. Extremely fast shipping. :cheers:

:6:

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Just wait till the bug bites and you upgrade to a 3.5" LS1 sensor!!!!!
"Butt dyno smiles"!!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
TurboDave said:
"Butt dyno smiles"!!!
Is there really a performance difference between the LT1 / LS1 sensor ??

·
Banned
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey yeah I was going to go right to the LS1 sensor but I got a smoking deal on the LT1 sensor.

I mean yea it does seem more powerful but I am enjoying the improved idle and smooth feel of it better.

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
dsa87gn said:
Is there really a performance difference between the LT1 / LS1 sensor ??
I was able to document a full 2 tenths/2mph difference way back when the Translator setup hit the market. It's enough of a difference to be felt on the "butt dyno".
What's most noticable is the off idle throttle response and power.

·
Registered
242 Posts
TurboDave said:
I was able to document a full 2 tenths/2mph difference way back when the Translator setup hit the market. It's enough of a difference to be felt on the "butt dyno".
What's most noticable is the off idle throttle response and power.
wow, thats interesting..
I have a stevemon ported tb/plenum and noticed an off idle response with that. I wonder if going to a 3 1/2 would make it even better :dunno:

i was just curious because my car runs so good with the lt1, blm's are so in line what the bigger sensor would do for me. but i gues you answered that. :cheers:

I agree with 2qk, the setup is the bomb. I really like mt T+/Extender setup :headbang:. Car idles and runs excellent.

·
Banned
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My BLMs at idle are 131, at part throttle 118, and WOT 128

Havn't seen any KR since I've put it on. :D

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
Now it's track time :headbang:

·
Registered
48 Posts
TurboDave said:
"Butt dyno smiles"!!!
The list goes on and on. Mike at Full Throttle along with Bob Bailey has some excellent products. Think you was impressed with the translator wait till you move up the scale. :)

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
It would be a nice upgrade if your stock maf takes a dump.

·
Sick Sick Six
566 Posts
With the translator, you replace the stock Maf with a Maf from an LT1, or LS1, right? What else needs to be changed? Does the maf pipe or K&N need to be replaced with different size parts?

I guess what I am asking is that if I get a Translator and an LT1 MAF am I good to go with the install considering that my car has a stainless pipe with a 9" K&N?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
With the 3" LT1 maf sensor it's a bolt in with your stock hose or pipe. With the 3.5 LS1 maf sensor you will need hose adapters for it to work.

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
phil_long said:
Is the either sensor overkill for a stock car?
Not at all. They both allow improvements in airflow. That's a good thing BTW.
Besides, there's not much left in the way of new genuine DELCO mafs. There's hundreds of thousounds of GM mafs available (cheap)

·
Banned
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
buicksrus said:
What is a good baseline to set the dip switches to? (currently mine are all off)
If yours truly are all "OFF" I don't see how it would run?

Set them like this: Unless you have an extender chip then set #3 to OFF

#1 #2 #3 #4
ON ON ON OFF

#1 - ON=6cyl - OFF-8cyl
#2 - ON=Old Style ECM - OFF=New Style ECM
#3 - ON=Limiter(255) OFF=(768) [set to Off if you have and extender chip] This is for airflow
#4 - NOT USED - KEEP IN OFF POSITION

Don't forget the MAF BASE settings. If you have an LT1 maf set it to 3
Then there is a WOT Fuel setting. This is for fine tuning. Leave it at 0 for a baseline, then adjust as needed.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
phil_long said:
So when i go to buy my MAF sensor, i just order one for an LT1 instead of my car?
You'll need both the MAF and the Translator. Both of which can be obtained from www.fullthrottlespeed.com

1 - 20 of 22 Posts