Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my second block is over at the machine shop, they punched it .020 and they are balencing the rotating assembly.

heres my question. do I use my cross drilled TTA that needs to be cut .030 or my original buick crank that needs to be cut .010?

and is there any good websites that show assebly techniques for these motors?

Joe

·
Register Boozer
3,904 Posts
I would cut the GN crank .010 and then have the machine shop crossdrill the crank and chamfer the bores. I believe someone said in the pastthat more then .020 on the crank journals makes the rolled fillets useless.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would use the GN crank turned and otherwise unmolested. On that same token the .030 crank is not as bad as everyone states. Both Bill Anderson a reputable engine builder and a local machine shop state that As long as the fillets are not molested that stregth for most cars will not be an issue.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I am assembling a production 4.1 motor right now with my 30/20 crank. It's one of those things that you'll never know until you try it yourself. You know, like hyper pistons. BTW - I think it's the guys trying to sell stock GN cranks for $400 that are spreading the rumors about using cut cranks! poon

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
on a RACE ONLY engine, do not cut it under more than .020 because the performance wide bearings are not available. On a street/strip engine, cut it until bearings can no longer be had!!!! .040 on the rods and .060 on the mains.
Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts