Turbo Buicks banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
1986 Grand National
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I have a SMC setup (mostly). And I am finally going to get around to start to play with it.

I have ~ 100 psi at the nozzle when spraying and I will be running either Eric's alky chip and the commander alky chip ( I have both chips and I believe both are around 21° of timing).

Will the M14 or M15 nozzle be enough to run ~ 26# of boost on 93 octane , or am I going to need a "dual nozzle" setup ? If dual nozzle is needed what am I looking at to run 26# of boost 16 GPH , 20 GPH More than that ?

Oh I will be use Windshield washer fluid that is at a 50/50 mix.

I know I will have to tune for my own setup , But it sure would be nice to be close to begin.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
one nozzle will be fine for a 11/12 sec car :yup:

·
1986 Grand National
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Dan.

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
With 26# boost and 93-octane, I would not be trusting my engine to anything but straight meth. Why spend all that $$ to have an engine capable of making that power then risk it to save a few $$$?

Maybe I am missing something.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
With 26# boost and 93-octane, I would not be trusting my engine to anything but straight meth. Why spend all that $$ to have an engine capable of making that power then risk it to save a few $$$?

Maybe I am missing something.
X a gazillion !!!!:yup:

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Pure Denatured or meth. should work fine, not wiper fluid.

If you use the wiper fluid stuff start at about 20psi. and see how far up you can get safely, no KR.

·
1986 Grand National
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought a 50/50 mix was better at controlling dentition ? Because of the water in it.

Studies back in WWII with the bombers and fighters shown that a 50/50 mix for them worked the best, Of course they where at high altitudes. I also read that running straight alky could cause dentition on its own.

Is everyone find that straight Alky is better ?

I am currently drawing from my windshield washer tank , If I go to straight alky , I will have to install a separate tank. For safety reasons.

·
1986 Grand National
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought a 50/50 mix was better at controlling dentition ? Because of the water in it.

Studies back in WWII with the bombers and fighters shown that a 50/50 mix for them worked the best, Of course they where at high altitudes. I also read that running straight alky could cause dentition on its own.

Is everyone find that straight Alky is better ?

I am currently drawing from my windshield washer tank , If I go to straight alky , I will have to install a separate tank. For safety reasons.

·
1986 Grand National
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the double post (Stupid Computer) :)

·
Just another kinky six
1,587 Posts
While water can help reduce the probem with detonation, alky has a much higher "octane" which also cools much more efficiently. The alky is also a fuel which means it burns cooler and keeps det away. Water by itself will reduce det but not as effectively as alky by itself.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Fred, if you have the old smc kit with the pump in the tank, then you are better off running 50/50 with some water soluble lube in the mix as well. I would suggest starting out around 23 psi of boost and see what you can work up to.

If you have the Flojet external pump, I believe you will find that straight methanol will give better results.

As stated above, the meth has a much higher apparent octane and it serves as a fuel. It also vaporizes at a lower temp and more can be put into the mist so that it actually drops the air charge temp considerably. Most of us have found that it is a safer mix to run when it comes to preventing detonation. You should be able to run around 26 psi this way altho I have hit 30 more than once...with low timing.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
If you have an older SMC kit with an intank EFI pump you don't want ANY water in there.

Oil and water don't mix, may be just an old saying though.... :dunno:

Straight alky. denatured with a capful of Klotz or Manhattan alky. lube. :)

·
1986 Grand National
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is the Flo-Jet pump with the SMC controller.

Thanks for the input everyone.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Then you should be fine with straight methanol. The only problem that I have had with my Flojets is that some valve sticks if you let them set very long without using them. This is not a great thing as the pump runs but nothing is pumped...

·
Registered
155 Posts
do many people use the windshield washer for there alky tank cause i am going to get alky from smc also in your opinions what would be better overflow tank or wind sheild washer tank for alky

·
1986 Grand National
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Steve.

I try to cycle the pump every couple weeks.

I have had this installed for a while , I have never (until now) had a chance to start "Tweaking" it.

I had the nozzle out over the weekend and I have 100 PSI when spraying.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
do many people use the windshield washer for there alky tank cause i am going to get alky from smc also in your opinions what would be better overflow tank or wind sheild washer tank for alky
No, we use methanol normally, or denatured when we have to.

The SMC comes with a modified overflow bottle set up with a low level sensor, etc.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Thanks Steve.

I try to cycle the pump every couple weeks.

I have had this installed for a while , I have never (until now) had a chance to start "Tweaking" it.

I had the nozzle out over the weekend and I have 100 PSI when spraying.
I think my single nozzle car hits about 120 psi, but, I don/t remember if I have a M10, or an M15 in it. those little gauges may not be accurate to 20 psi :)

·
1986 Grand National
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I measured 100 psi though a M14 nozzle. But like you said the gauge may not be the most accurate.

·
Registered
155 Posts
No, we use methanol normally, or denatured when we have to.

The SMC comes with a modified overflow bottle set up with a low level sensor, etc.
ok it just seemed like the windsheild washer fluid tank would be a good idea to use for your alky stank so u dont have to use the the little overflow that smc gives you

1 - 20 of 25 Posts