Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI
Gotta give the people at Mark Williams a thumbs up on their products.
After snapping an axle I decided to do the MW Axles & c-clip eliminators...Spoke to them on the phone and felt comfortable with their product for my application.

The Axles are Nice, nothing really different appearance wise then other (aftermarket) ones. They also came with screw in studs and multiple bolt patterns.

The C-clip eliminator is a different story. From what I understand, most come with thin paper gaskets - the MW ones have No gaskets at all. It's all machined seats with O ring seals in all the right places...very nice design. The Bearing housing seals directly to the axle tube (not the backing plate) All in all, they look like they shouldn't leak. I did use some of the magical "good stuff" as some additional insurance

Instructions were clear and easy to understand. NOW, as long as they don't leak, I'll be thrilled.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
MW makes really good stuff. Do their eliminators use a ball bearing or a roller bearing?

·
Registered
683 Posts
A local rear end guru says those C-Clip Eliminators will leak and the bearings only last a short time. (this guy know his stuff) The Ford 9" style ends are they way to go along with a 31 spline axel. The 12 bolt complete rear end is rated high in my book. It comes with all the good stuff. The stock GN Rear End is poorly made in my book. (pressed in tubes, clips, flimsy backing plates, wheel cylinders held in with clips instead of bolted) The people that have used the Ford type ends, axels, and backing plates really like them and now hold mega boost on launch. (bigger rear brakes and backing plates) Using Explorer rear disc brakes would be another good choice in my book. I've been checking all these options as an Up-grade is needed for my car. To up-grade a stock GN rear cost almost as much as a much better complete bolt in model. I've checked this out and compared all the options. No Flame to you on your choice but these are my findings. I've checked with many builders. (Moser, DTS, and Currie, and local guy) Gene

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve - They appear to be very LARGE ball bearing. It was really hard to tell (well covered).

ILBCNU6 - No flame taken
Yeah, I've heard they leak, then again, there are dozens of cases that they don't as well.
After installing them, I feel ALOT of the leak problems are related to installation. You can't just throw them on and expect them not to leak - I think this is what alot of people do.
I file fit the Bearing mount to make sure it was perfectly fit/square to the axle tube/backing plate. I can see how, if this isn't done, they would absolutely leak.
Sure, the ford style rear end is the better setup, it just wasn't in the cards at this time.

IF you are redoing the differential and all, The Ford 9" style ends with a 31 spline axel is probably a good idea...I had no need for a new differential.

<small>[ November 14, 2003, 08:00 AM: Message edited by: zam70 ]</small>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
For a car that is driven subtantial miles, I have concern about the ball bearings...I like the Ford rear axle tube ends, but, initially, they are a bit of a pain....after done once, good forever, tho.

I have a set of moser axles with eliminators, but, at the last minute, I installed a set of regular 30 spliners with a matching carrier. Then I have driven maybe 15 miles in the last six months. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts