Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered the LT1 MAF Translator and LTI MAF. I have a factory stock MAF that is not maxing out at 255/gps at WOT. It usually reads 230-240/GPS. I hope to take care of a problem and hopefully will get a performance increase with the larger opening on the LT1 sensor. I would like to hear from anyone who has upgraded to the LT1 MAF? What kind of performance improvement did you notice.

My TTA currently turns [email protected] in the quarter, with the "bum" MAF sensor. Hopefully with better sensor readings and improved airflow, I will get an increase in horsepower.

I am wondering I have Caspers 7 position Ultrachip in the car right now, so I have some tuning choices. I am not a diehard racer, but a weekend warrior, so with that in mind, I wonder if it would be prudent/or a waste of money to upgrade the Translator Plus for an extra $100?

Mark
Eagle River, AK

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Hi Mark,

Welcome to Turbobuicks. I am going to move your post to the Turbo Tech section where you will probably get some better exposure since this relates to the Buicks as well.

Do you have an open air filter? I know that some guys running cold air kits where the filter is relocated sometimes don't max out the MAF.

What is done to your car currently?

<small>[ June 21, 2003, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: TTA89 ]</small>

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi Mark!

I bought my Trans over a year ago and I called Ramchargers to see if there was a way to upgrade mine to a Trans+. They told me that they had the extra part that will make it a Trans+. It is called the timing adjustor (I believe that is what he said). Supposed to be inside the car and connects to a wire on the ECM. The same wire that goes to the timing control module that the Trans+ would tap into. He said that is all I would need to make it a Trans+. It was for $179 I believe. It was better for me to do that instead of buying the Trans+ since I already had the Trans. I have not yet installed it because I have some things I need to do before I get to it. Right now, the thing that everyone seems to be praising aobut is the Trans+ w/ extender chip. Give them a call and ask them about it (Ramchargers). They will be more than happy to help you out from my expierence. Has anyone used this timing adjustor yet?

HTH,

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Next time, drop Bob Bailey a note and see what he will charge you for an upgrade. You might save some money.

Back to the original question. I doubt you will see any improvement in performance with the change from oem to the translator based on air flow. As I recall, there is little difference in flow based on tests conducted a couple of years ago. The stock maf is good for quite a bit more than you are currently pulling.

If the chip you are currently using does not provide the fueling that your combo would like to have, then you may find some performance in the adjustable tweaks provided.

I would think you should be able to pull a 255 with the speeds you are running, but, I kinda doubt you will see much more performance if the current maf is stable and not dropping way down.

Without trying, it is really hard to say.

Talk to Eric Marshall who posts here. I think he can tell you the pros and cons of 240 vs 255. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To answer the question of what has been done to my car, the following are the modifications todate:

Casper's 7 position ECM chip, 8" K & N Filter with an aluminum MAF pipe. TA-49 Turbo, 36# injectors, Action Fab 3” downpipe, freeflowing exhaust with testpipe, 62mm throttle body, ported plenum, 1" plenum spacer, Volt Booster, adj fuel pressure regulator, bleed valve to control boost and a PTS Xtreme torque converter (advertised with 2800-3000 stall, but the one in my car stalls at 3400), performance transmission rebuild with many PTS components. I also use Turbolink to record each quartermile pass.

I used to max the MAF reading at 255 several years ago in my present state of tune and mods, but for some reason the MAF readings have dropped to 230-240. There aren't any airleaks or restrictions that I could find and I have replaced the valvesprings with uprades from Kirbans several years ago and I still am not maxing out the MAF numbers. Therefore I feel it is a MAF sensor problem.

Mark

·
(Adult Swim)
320 Posts
I have a 3" Impala MAF with the Translator and a Homemade cold air filter set up and could only reach 235-240 on my Air Flow reading....I installed a D C Tech Long Neck cool air system and now it's 255 all the time....It's a 4 " hose and funnel to the MAF...

http://www.dctech-inc.com/

:) Alan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts