Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went snooping around my car and discovered I have a Red Armstrong 93 octane chip. But, my boost gauges read 11# in 1st/2nd and peak at 12#in 3rd/4th. I though the performance might increase if I put higher octane in(was putting 91 because thought stock chip/highest avaliable in Amarillo) so I added 104+ boost into by tank.
It made no difference that I noticed(havent run 1/4 w/the octane boost though).
What is the stock boost reading on an 86 GN?
Should it read like 12# on the gauge or just like 8#? I heard that the gauges read boost at the manifold. Red's chip is supposed to turn up the boost to 17#, is that at the turbo, or at the manifold?

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Do you have an adjutable wastegate actuator? If so tighten it up a bit that should give you more boost. But you should have some sort of scan tool to monitor knock.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
The stock boost guage is very unreliable & boost 104 does little or nothing. Get a scanmaster or the likes, a boost guage, adjustable regulator & add some xylene to get the octane up.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
stock was 12-14. I don't know what Red programmed into his chips...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a VDO boost gauge(gunna be replaced with a Nordskog digital) and it reads about the same as the stock gauge. I am going to get a knock sensor gauge soon too....right now a scan tool is out of my price range...unless yall know where to pick one up cheap. I dont have an adjsutable on, but when I rebuilt the turbo I will install the adjustable boost reg. I have(I have decided it is easier to wait till i rebuild the turbo rather than basically taking it off to install the adjustable one) Where can I get xylene?
thanks for the replies,
wesley

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Nordskog gauges look cool but are real hard to read when boost jumps for 0 to 20lbs in less then a second. They are good for slow input readings like water temperature. You should invest in the scantool first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts