Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Its In Stock
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search and came up with not much. There are a million helpful hints for high BLM’s but for low?????

Here goes: Currently Scanmaster reads steady BLM’s of 105 at idle and at cruise. It will blip into the mid to high 115-119 range during acceleration, but settles back to 105-109. It should be noted that I have a stock MAF, stock chip (be nice) and have lowered the FP to 35psi with the line off. All of the other Scanmaster #’s are in line except for the TPS which is reading a little low (.34 idle – 4.28 WOT).

I just added the Tin Man intake, could that be a cause? When I first put the intake on I had steady BLM’s of 119. That’s when I lowered the FP to 35psi (line off) from 38psi (line off). After the fuel adjustment the BLM’s ran about 122-126 (expectable in my book) but now have re-set to 105. :dunno: I checked all of my connections and they all look right on. I don't believe a VAC leak is an issue as that usually causes high BLM's/lean condition.
Should I try lowering the FP again? Maybe to 34psi? Lower???
Could the MAF taken a dump? (No error codes)
Would a 3” LT1 and translator help?

The thing runs great, boosts and pulls fine, no knock ever, but does seem to be running rich.

Thanks in advance for your help, Vince.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
yes, the intake can, at times, fool the maf on airflow. Low blms are telling you that the ecm if pulling fuel to correct for a perceived rich condition.

Reducing fuel pressure might seem logical, but, would seldom be the issue with a stock chip. Particularly when the stock chip is calibrated carefully for a stock intake system.

You do not mention the o2, or the age of your o2 sensor. You do not mention if you removed the intake and the blms went back up. You do not mention what the mafs are reading at idle.

If everything is working correctly, a Translator is not the answer. If the maf is shot, it would certainly be a start in the right direction.

As far as the stock chip goes...you already appear to know what you should do. :)

·
Its In Stock
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve Wood said:
yes, the intake can, at times, fool the maf on airflow. Low blms are telling you that the ecm if pulling fuel to correct for a perceived rich condition.

Reducing fuel pressure might seem logical, but, would seldom be the issue with a stock chip. Particularly when the stock chip is calibrated carefully for a stock intake system.

You do not mention the o2, or the age of your o2 sensor. You do not mention if you removed the intake and the blms went back up. You do not mention what the mafs are reading at idle.

If everything is working correctly, a Translator is not the answer. If the maf is shot, it would certainly be a start in the right direction.

As far as the stock chip goes...you already appear to know what you should do. :)
Steve,

I have all my Scanmaster #'s at home (typical) and will post them up for you later today. I will provide you with MAFs at idle also.

The O2 sensor is about 3 years old (Tomco unit from Postons) with about 3K street miles on it (If that makes a difference).

If the MAF sensor checks out "ok" would a TurboTweak chip or simular burned for my stock set-up help with handling my basic up-grades?

The last two up grades I'm planning is to go to a 3" MAF (LT1?) with translator and a correctly burned chip.

Thanks Steve, I was hoping you would reply. :headbang:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
yeah, the chip will help all around. :)

I would, as a matter of fact, replace the Tomco sensor...either a Delco, or a Denso would be my choice. The densos are cheap when ordered on line from someone such as sparkplugs.com.....vendors may also have them at good prices...I don't know.

·
Its In Stock
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve Wood said:
yeah, the chip will help all around. :)

I would, as a matter of fact, replace the Tomco sensor...either a Delco, or a Denso would be my choice. The densos are cheap when ordered on line from someone such as sparkplugs.com.....vendors may also have them at good prices...I don't know.
OK here are my Scanmaster Numbers, give it to me straight:

O2: 234-417-566 (They did go higher)
AF: 06
BAT: 13.4
Int: 128
BL: 105
MPH: 0
CLT: 193
ATS: 97
RPM: 750
TPS: .34 - 4.28
IAC: 11
CC: 14 - 255
MAL: None

I ordered an AC Delco O2 this afternoon and should receive it next week sometime.

Thanks Vince

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
really hard to say....O2s are crossing back and forth from rich to lean as they should.

When you come off idle and cruise, do the blms come up any? Oops, I see you said they were at 105 at cruise as well.

105 is still within the correction range of the ecm so you are not being hurt...just a bit more correction that is normally seen. Certainly nothing to be over concerned by. I would start with the o2 and see what happens. Don't think I ever saw much good about a tomco sensor so it may simply be the tomco calibration.

Could also be the tinman intake is fooling the maf. Do you have at least one screen in the maf?

·
Its In Stock
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve Wood said:
really hard to say....O2s are crossing back and forth from rich to lean as they should.

When you come off idle and cruise, do the blms come up any? Oops, I see you said they were at 105 at cruise as well.

105 is still within the correction range of the ecm so you are not being hurt...just a bit more correction that is normally seen. Certainly nothing to be over concerned by. I would start with the o2 and see what happens. Don't think I ever saw much good about a tomco sensor so it may simply be the tomco calibration.

Could also be the tinman intake is fooling the maf. Do you have at least one screen in the maf?
Steve,

The BLM's do go up to about 115-119 upon rolling into the throttle but once at cruize speed (or should I say desired MPH) they settle back to 105-109. I do have the screen in the stock MAF. My plan was to up grade to a LT1 MAF and translator, but I wanted to see if there was a "real" issue with my BLM #'s prior to adding another possible factor. Would the LT1/translator provide a better signal to the stock chip for now?

I was thinking going with a TurboTweak chip (seems to be the most popular) with emmissions function as I drive the car during the summer back and forth to work. In speaking with Jack Cotton (his shop is about 5 miles north of me) he said he uses Capsers chips. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your help :cheers:

·
General Useless POS
1,801 Posts
Its late, but I didnt see a mention of injector size?

·
lag,what is that?
2,715 Posts
VinsGN said:
Steve,
I was thinking going with a TurboTweak chip (seems to be the most popular) with emmissions function as I drive the car during the summer back and forth to work. In speaking with Jack Cotton (his shop is about 5 miles north of me) he said he uses Capsers chips. Any suggestions?

If you are going to use the LT1 maf/Translator why not use the extender chip as well? These components were designed to work together by Bob Bailey. :dunno:

·
General Useless POS
1,801 Posts
I doubt TPS is doing anything. If too low will code 21 and use a default. If in range, tps is 0*, if too high, 22 sets and/or idle sticks high

I ask again, what size injectors? 36's with a stock chip will do exactly as you describe?!?

A leaking FPR will do as you describe (hey, you said you had an accufab)

A leaking purge solenoid will do as you describe

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I'd stay away from an emissions chip. It's for passing the test,not daily driving. Get a regular Turbotweak or extender chip. They are both awesome set ups. In the future plan on a LT1 style MAF with translator.

You will need to raise that fuel pressure up to about 43 with either chip. :6:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
yes, the tps is okay...it's in the window.

Jim brings up an extremely important point.
The chip must be burned for the injectors...otherwise it will do what you describe. :)

·
Its In Stock
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TurboJim said:
I doubt TPS is doing anything. If too low will code 21 and use a default. If in range, tps is 0*, if too high, 22 sets and/or idle sticks high

I ask again, what size injectors? 36's with a stock chip will do exactly as you describe?!?

A leaking FPR will do as you describe (hey, you said you had an accufab)

A leaking purge solenoid will do as you describe
Steve Wood said:
yes, the tps is okay...it's in the window.

Jim brings up an extremely important point.
The chip must be burned for the injectors...otherwise it will do what you describe.
Sorry for thr delay in responding. With the holiday weekend, the kids and the wife :crazy:

1) The injectors are 30lb Ford injectors from Postons. What Postons advertise as their "stock replacements". (I went to Postons prior to learning about Buick Boards. :dunno: )

2) How can I check the AFPR? (It is an Accufab) My fuel pressure gauge indicates the set pressure (35psi line off) running with proper increase under boost conditions and holds for a good period of time after shut down. I don't see any leak down in the fuel system.

3) I thought there were "emission burned" chips and non "emission burned" chips? Unfortunately I've got to go through the Conn. sniff test two more times before the 25 year-old age exemption.

I am with the understanding that I will have to up-grade my injectors based on the chosen chip and that I will also have to go to a 160 degree stat.

Thanks for all your insight and should you need more info please ask and I will provide you with it. My goal here is to rule out any potential "real" problems before adding my last few up-grades. Vince

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
If I recall correctly, the 30# injectors sold as stock replacements were slightly richer at idle with a stock chip, but, not a big difference. At higher rpms, they were pretty close, I think.

Take the numbers off them and post them so we can see if they are the Lucas 30# injectors, or something else :)

Oh, sounds like your fpr is working correctly...but, sounds a bit low for a stock chip...I believe factory was closer to 38# hose off, pressure should drop a bit when the hose is plugged on to the regulator, and then rise one pound per each pound of boost when driving. Might not be too far off if the injectors are a bit richer than stock at idle.

Emissions chips are normally named such by us when referring to a chip that has been burned expressly for emissions testing, but, not run for daily driving otherwise. These chips turn the fan on at a higher temp, use the egr, are closed loop at idle, etc.

·
Its In Stock
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm at work right now so I will get look at the injectors later today and get those numbers. I know I still have the paper work for them in one of my files.

I lowered the FP from 38psi (line off) to 35psi (line off) in my feeble attempt to lower my BMLs but for the life of me I cannot locate my prior Scanmaster #'s. Maybe this afternoon I'll raise it back up, let the computer adjust and record the #'s.

Thank you for the clarification on the "emissions" chip.

·
Its In Stock
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Steve Wood said:
If I recall correctly, the 30# injectors sold as stock replacements were slightly richer at idle with a stock chip, but, not a big difference. At higher rpms, they were pretty close, I think.

Take the numbers off them and post them so we can see if they are the Lucas 30# injectors, or something else :)

Oh, sounds like your fpr is working correctly...but, sounds a bit low for a stock chip...I believe factory was closer to 38# hose off, pressure should drop a bit when the hose is plugged on to the regulator, and then rise one pound per each pound of boost when driving. Might not be too far off if the injectors are a bit richer than stock at idle.

Emissions chips are normally named such by us when referring to a chip that has been burned expressly for emissions testing, but, not run for daily driving otherwise. These chips turn the fan on at a higher temp, use the egr, are closed loop at idle, etc.
My injectors are Ford injectors (The Ford emblem is clear as day) with red tops and the following numbers:

0280450945 - going right across the red top of the injector. In addition there is a three diget number directly above the longer number listed above - 286, if that will help.

One thing I should mention is when I was looking for the injector number I noticed that my PCV hose was somewhat disconnected. :confused: Deffinently a vaccuum leak. I reconnected it with zip ties but have not had a chance to take it out for a ride and new Scanmaster numbers.

Thanks again for your time.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I don't think those have the same flow curve as the stock injectors, but, I could be wrong...rated at 29#. Could be part of your problem....just not quite a match for the chip.

PCV hose off will screw things up...mine always idles faster when it is off :)

·
Its In Stock
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The more this discussion progresses its looking more and more like its time for me to “poop” or get off the pot. Meaning…… up grading my chip w/ matching injectors.

Thanks for setting me straight. I’m going to record my numbers and do some more research. I’m hoping sometime in August taking the plunge.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts