Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is this. Some say it's easy, but I see alot of people with bigger mods that don't run low 12's. What is a good combo to do this?
86 Grand National.

thanks help

·
Registered
609 Posts
Posi is a must;i no this !I also would say slicks is a must to get in the 12's but maybe someone will speak up ansd say they run consistant 12's with out slicks. :)

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
It's all about the cars state of tune and condition of parts. I have gone 11.92 with the stock turbo and no slicks. It wasn't with stock injectors and wasn't with the stock IC (V4).

A lot of times guys with lots of parts running slow is just an indication of a poorly tuned car or other mix matched pieces. powersix

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Low 12s are beginning to be a bit harder but is not uncommon. Everything working right, slicks, race chip, race gas, boost. Duttweiller neck will help the stock innercooler a lot, imo.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Or, I think there a racers and others that like fast street cars.
A racer will do everything to get as low an et as possible. Slicks, race gas, race chip.
Then there are people like me that want the car to be set up and run it just like I drove it to the track. Alky and DR, and an alky chip.
With my MODs, I would feel that a low 12 would be good but if I wanted it in full race I would exspect mid 11s.
So when you see times, you have to see what the person was running to obtain the times not always the MODS.
I probably make our cars look bad when I go to the track. Sometimes I will run to the 1/8 and left off from there and run some high 13s.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Look at the signature, I can run mid to low 12's
all day on the street at the track whatever.
If I change to slicks and race gas I could probably see 11's. Best time so far is 12.2 at 109mph
This is in total street trim as I run 100 octane
25/23 timing, 26lbs. of boost and alky all the time.
:D

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
In the early 90's I ran 12.7 all day long with race fuel, chip & Hoosier Quick Times. No real tuning as no scanmaster or anything. K&N filter, open headlight, adjustable fuel & larger rear cylinders. I figured just put in race fuel & you go fast?? After finding this site a year ago I guess I was very lucky back then!! Now after much $$ I am slower? Although the tranny shop pulled a fast one on me I found out after reading this board!! Waiting on my scanmaster or OTC 2000 & a real Torque converter!

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I ran a [email protected] with my low milage car on 20psi of boost and I only revved it to 4500rpm and shifted into overdrive before the end of 1/4. The car had more in it, but I didn't want to push it. My summer beater that has 68K on it ran 12.76 and 12.75 at 105mph. Stock 13 year old injectors in it which were giving it problems and that was with 24psi.

·
Registered
609 Posts
white shadow:
Posi is a must;i no this !I also would say slicks is a must to get in the 12's but maybe someone will speak up ansd say they run consistant 12's with out slicks. :)
I ran consistant 13.9's w/2.3 60fter with 14pounds air/7inch wide wheel andniito dr 275-50-15 at 100mph alt was around 1400feet, the other night and the reason i'm telling you this is because my car ran this on a hot evening 79f and 100% humidity and it's non-posi and these tires are just spinning like crazy with only 3pounds of boost stock clogged injectors' stock neck intercooler and 17-19pounds boost 93octane .My main problem is was traction,traction,traction and the scanmaster read the engine temp everytime at around 200 -209f that is with a 160 thermostat and a manual fan switch so,my car definetly needs a better cooling radiator system,big duutweler neck,block the coolant off to the intake and some airbags!Then i think that the car will definetlely flirt with a high 12 with stock turbo,injectors but a different cooling system.This car just holds the heat in!just my observartion the one night i ran :)

<small>[ August 19, 2003, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: white shadow ]</small>

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I can run 11.80's in street trim, pure pump gas (no alchy) street chip, 17lbs boost and drag radials. I think it's the maplight mirror that's helping :cool:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
yep, I bought two maplight mirrors from Red Regal and immediately picked up a couple of tenths without any tuning!

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Ed help me install my maplight mirror at Englishtown, and then I can finally race the 'Boid. :cool:

Need that edge. powersix

Weight of car is an issue, as well as track prep, altitude, temps.....

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
Makes me wonder how much Opera Lights are worth in the 1/4? dunno Might have to girdle the block to add those. :cool:

·
So easy cavemen can do it
534 Posts
i can vouch for this topic...

here's what i did to run my best time of 12.20 @ 112.25 mph with all the stock stuff

1. free flowing exhaust with 3" downpipe, test pipe
2. cold air intake behind headlights, ls1 maf sensor and translator
3. rjc powerplate
4. adjustable fuel pressure regulator
5. hotwired walbro 307 fuel pump
6. boost/knock gauges, turbolink
7. ran 26x10.5 slicks on stock wheels
8. ran a 108 red armstrong race chip
9. turned the boost up to 23 psi (tried to go higher but got lots of knock thanks to the intake charge being extremely hot past 23 psi...yes i was dumb at the time)
10. ran straight 110 leaded race gas

everything else was BONE stock...motor, trans, rear end, intercooler, injectors...no weight reduction done (in fact i probably made the car heavier with all my mods!)

launched with 10 lbs of boost at the line...it was a very cool night with air temps in the mid 40's...

most of the time i was running 12.4's - 12.7's but this time i got it right and cut the 12.2

everything has to be pretty much perfect...yes low 12's are very possible with a stock combo setup...

·
Village Idiot
4,813 Posts
30* timing RA chip, a Duttweiler neck and shallow staging is what let me bust into the 11s @ 113.46 with the mods below. Only did it twice but there were a lot of 12.0 timeslips before I got there.

<small>[ August 20, 2003, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: stevemon ]</small>

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
11.92 @ 111.77MPH

Stock Turbo
Stock Heads
V4 Intercooler
MSD 50# injectors
MaxEffort Chip
62mm Throttle Body
TH downpipe
Nitto 275/50/15 (my regular street tires)

That's about it! This was a few year back before the power plate was around.

Track rental at Moroso which was 4 hours away from home. I drove the car there so I figured I should be nice to it :) : 112octane, 30º timing, 26psi boost without slicks (Nittos). It's important to note that this is a full weight car (and so was I). Race weight was 3850#
Based on the MPH that's 456 engine HP!

Boy the car was a lot of fun when it ran like that. frown

<small>[ August 20, 2003, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: Orlando_87GN ]</small>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Nasty Wendy:
Makes me wonder how much Opera Lights are worth in the 1/4? dunno Might have to girdle the block to add those. :cool:
They are made for pantywaists like you that wear a girdle.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Careful, talking about Wendy's panty waist could be interpreted as harrassment. (What a funny looking work- harrassment)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
being a pantywaist, I am sure he is in no danger of being hairyassed, on, or off, the job! frown

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.