Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I JUST RECENTLY BOUGHT A 1985 GN. THE CAR I KNOW HAS AN AFTERMARKET INTERCOOLER AND TIMING ADJ. CHIP. I DROVE THE CAR ABOUT A HUNDERED MILES ON FRIDAY WHEN THE CAR STARTED RUNNING ROUGH AND DIED. I THOUGHT IT WAS THE FUEL PUMP AND WHEN I TRIED TO FIND A REPLCEMENT (THIS WAS AN IN-LINE BOSCH FUEL PUMP) I COULD NOT FIND ONE. SO I INSTALLED A CARTER IN-TANK PUMP. I FOUND THAT THE IN TANK PUMP WAS ALSO STILL IN PLACE. WOULD YOU NEED TWO FUEL PUMPS? WHEN I INSTALLED THE NEW FUEL PUMP I GOT 40 PSI AT THE FUEL RAIL. THE ECM CODES THAT COME UP ARE MAP SENCOR AND WASTE GATE. I THINK THAT IT NEEDS THE EGR VACUUM COTROL SOLENOID. THAT IS A HARD TO FIND PART. THE CAR ALSO HAS WHAT I THINK IS AN AFTER-MARKET ECM MADE BY DELPHI. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT. THANKS

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
ramco:
I JUST RECENTLY BOUGHT A 1985 GN. THE CAR I KNOW HAS AN AFTERMARKET INTERCOOLER AND TIMING ADJ. CHIP. I DROVE THE CAR ABOUT A HUNDERED MILES ON FRIDAY WHEN THE CAR STARTED RUNNING ROUGH AND DIED. I THOUGHT IT WAS THE FUEL PUMP AND WHEN I TRIED TO FIND A REPLCEMENT (THIS WAS AN IN-LINE BOSCH FUEL PUMP) I COULD NOT FIND ONE. SO I INSTALLED A CARTER IN-TANK PUMP. I FOUND THAT THE IN TANK PUMP WAS ALSO STILL IN PLACE. WOULD YOU NEED TWO FUEL PUMPS? WHEN I INSTALLED THE NEW FUEL PUMP I GOT 40 PSI AT THE FUEL RAIL. THE ECM CODES THAT COME UP ARE MAP SENCOR AND WASTE GATE. I THINK THAT IT NEEDS THE EGR VACUUM COTROL SOLENOID. THAT IS A HARD TO FIND PART. THE CAR ALSO HAS WHAT I THINK IS AN AFTER-MARKET ECM MADE BY DELPHI. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT. THANKS
Not going to criticize you or anything.
But unless they did alot of converting.... An 85 Gn was not intercooled.
...... Where is the turbocharger on your particular engine located?
If it is indeed intercooled and the turbo is located on the passenger side in front of the cylinder head.
You then have a 86-87 GN engine.
If this is the case. Parts are cheaper.
I ask this to sort out confusion because a EGR solenoid for an 84-85 is not the same as 1 for an 86-87.
The fuel pump issue.
I have an 84 T-Type with an 87 GN engine.
I also have a inline pump and a in tank 1 as well.
This technique from what I understand is 1 runs and the other is a booster pump. runs when needed. (Don't quote me on that though.)
I can however tell you that this 2 pump deal is "Old School Technology."
If you want URLs for parts send me a email [email protected] or [email protected] and I will provide you with whatever help I can.
Ohh. And... Welcome to the wonderful world of Turbobuicks!

-Matt-

<small>[ April 21, 2003, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Toadie's T-Type ]</small>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts