Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Frustrated Mechanic
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I knew it would happen some day. I'm getting tired of my '87 GN. Back in 1987 I bought a new GN and it was awesome, got married in '89 and had to sell it in '92 for a minivan (my decision). 2001 I bought another one in Philly - needed some work. I rebuilt the engine and kept it inside for the last 5 years. It's got 77k miles and needs some interior work.
I took it to Carlisle, PA this weekend and was so tempted to put it on the hill for sale, but I guess I'm not totally tired of it yet. Either I need to get that lovin' feeling back or its Old Car Trader here I come!
There's really no reason to dislike the car. It has been a great car, no problems - starts everytime, runs strong, sounds great. I think I just need a new project. Just ramblin'
Any one else been there with their Buick?
Corky :6:

·
Registered
157 Posts
there right now, within the last year, i got married, bought a house , and my wife is pregnant with twins. heck, i have no time for the car now and sure as hell aint gonna have time when the 2 boys come :D . funny how i finnally got a house with a 2 car garage and now im thinking of selling the buick. i had that car for about 13 years now. :dunno:

·
Unrecognized Genius
373 Posts
Been there a few times over the last couple of years. In my case I got sick and had to just watch it in the garage for a year. During that time I came close to selling it a few times. Depression mostly. Now that I am feeling better and have a few more dollars, I am renewing my interest in the car and doing some mods. Sometimes leaving it alone for awhile is good too. Then again, it is just a car and there are many projects out there. In the end, do what feels good to you. These cars are hard to beat for being unique, but there are many cool rides out there.

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
benn there and done it and will do it again :D part of life's quirks :sw:

·
It's a 'G' thang
1,071 Posts
I'm in that position all the time. Especially with my second rebuild in a year happening soon. Like everyone else, I get sick of the crap breaking and oogling over newer more technologically advanced cars. Oh well. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be. :)

·
Post Ho
3,628 Posts
I've been thinking a lot lately about getting rid of one of the GNs. :thinking:
I won't get rid of the 86 until I'm to old to drive. :sw:

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
the way i look at it is that i cant wait untill i finish my motor paint it and be able to drive it and not worry about anything breaking and if it does.. it does. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Hang on to it.

Get another project. I got to the stage that to go faster with my GN would mean making it into a race car, so I bought an old mustang, and I'm going to put a GN Powertrain in it. The GN will be just for giggles, and the stang for serious adrenaline hits.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
I've had mine since May 88 & get that feeling now & then. Actually I havent been to the track this year & for some odd reason dont have much desire to go? Funny, cuz I am there more than 95% of the Toronto crowd most years. I am usually a track pig. At least 5-6 times minimum. Maybe I just need to go 1 time to get back in the mood this year? Sometimes, I guess we just need a break or something new to play with? I have a chance to get a decent 77 Camaro 350 4 speed that I might have to adopt? Then after winter the Regal will look pretty good again! It sat for 4 years one stretch & man when I did pull it out it was so much fun! A break can be a good thing sometimes! :yup:

·
Frustrated Mechanic
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All Good Points to Ponder

You guys make some good points. I guess its time to tuck the GN away for awhile & learn to appreciate it all over again. They sure as hell are addictive!

I saw under the hood of an '85 for the first time last weekend at Carlisle, PA - no offense all '85 owners - but that motor is UGLY. Having the turbo sit back at the firewall & the fan shroud a 1/2 mile long is just plain ugly! An engine bay like that makes me appreciate my '87 a lot more!
Thanks fellow GN owners

·
Addicted to BOOST
810 Posts
I think anytime you own a car... or anything for that amount of time a person will get those feelings. That's the one good thing about storing the car for the winter. After it sits in the garage for 6 months it feels sooooo nice to get it out in the spring and drive it again.

I've had my GN for 10 years and so far it's survived a marrage, 2 houses and a kid and never a thought of selling it. It helps that my wife loves the car as much as I do, even though she's afraid to drive it she likes to go for rides. And so far my 7 month old son doesn't seem to mind the odd 21psi pull.

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
ummm I have had a 66 Shelby in storage since 1976 :rolleyes: do I miss the car ???? nope :eek: I to am tired of Buicks right now .. wife and daughter have them but I only have this ...it's good for a change :headbang:

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
I too have had love/ hate feelings for my 87 Grand National and having 3 cars and a motorcyle I can park my GN (somewhat)......I have an 84 Z28 Camaro that is dying to have a built 406 SB with a turbo 400 behind it installed........An 81 Malibu that is screaming for a paint job (I am attending a vocational school learning the paint and body trade...the Malibu is my project) and my 1978 Kawasaki 1000 ltd that I stripped for a repaint job....so many projects. I retired in December of 05 (civil service) and I have no excuses for not getting these projects going

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sorry guys........my reply really had nothing to do with this thread...Duh.......I guess my point is/was find something else to interest you and you will not regret not selling your GN when you get back to it. She will be like an old friend when you resurect her ........I tried to post pictures of the camaro but I need to resieze it....couldn't find any pictures of the bike.....
Further, to keep busy, I polish metal (valve covers are my speciaity). I did a lower Buick intake for a fellow in Tennessee(sp) that I wasn't proud of.......
Chance, I have 2 intakes I am now working on. My offer still stands. By the way, I will be 63 next month....I have gasoline for blood.........lol

·
Registered
141 Posts
Very much so. I've hit the burnt out and nearly broke point with the T. Wish I could just throw a cover over it and let it sit, but it's currently residing in my buddy's shop, so no can do. The roller is actually up for sale on the other board.....haven't had much interest though. I'm ready to sell it all and go buy a C5 Corvette or another Fox Mustang to tinker with. If I only had a garage..... :(

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think a lot more of us other than those who posted here have had some bad times with our cars whether at the track or at the GM dealer trying to buy parts that no longer exist, but I offer you this.... think about all the guys that once had an original High-horse Vette, any original hemi-powered vehicle, or any other vehcle that appreciated in value. They ALL wish they would have kept that car. How many other v6 cars have kept a performance value like ours? If your car is paid for or you have no problem making the payments, park it and go back at it another time. Don't give up on what you know what right and fun in the first place. Wouldn't you really rather have a BUICK?

·
Frustrated Mechanic
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Scott, first I hope you survived all the flooding up there.
I recall the first drive when the salesman thru me the keys to a new GN in 1987. He told me I would love this car - he said take it for a spin & I guarantee you will fall in love. He was right! I needed to have that car. I was to come back on Monday & pick it up. The car was stolen off the lot that weekend & I put the car out of my mind. 2 weeks later the salesman called me back and said they recovered the car & was I still interested. I went to the dealer & the car had a little over 250 miles on it. I told the salesman the car was now used & he needed to reduce the price. He went from $17,500 to $15,000 - I signed on the dotted line & the car was mine. I bought the car from Topper Pontiac Buick in Saratoga Springs. It was pretty much a senior citizen dealer & the GN's he had didn't move. So I was happy with the deal. Too bad I had to sell it in 1992 for the minivan - Someone in Denver bought it & he sent a car carrier to pick it up - it was a sad day. The '87 I have now just a'int the same - I still want that clean '87 back that I gave up 14 years ago!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Scott........Yeah, that would be nice, but don't have a garage or sheltered place to keep the ol girl while taking a break. That's the really bad part...otherwise she would just go into hibernation 'til I felt like working on her again. Found out last night that the car has 7.5" rear....guess the orig owner didn't know there was a difference between reg Regals and TR's. So now I'm stuck with $750-800 worth of 8.5" parts and looking at another $350+ for an 8.5" housing, if I can find one. Otherwise it means buying a complete unit, and that's gonna be rough. Just tired of spending so much money and getting nothing but more aggravation. Doesn't help that I need to get the car done so it will be out of my buddy's way.

Corky......I hear ya on getting rid of a mint GN. My last one had 24,670 original miles when I sold her....mint factory interior, beautiful paint....and plenty of go-fast goodies. Should have kept that car, but I was getting ulcers from worrying about a nick, rock chip, rain, bugs, etc. Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.